Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cfd's

Options
  • 25-01-2006 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi there -

I've been reading up on CFD's recently ; they're very popular at the moment and many dealers are offering them.
    I was very interested in buying a few contracts until I learned that they are normally opened and closed within the dealing day.
    You can hold them for longer, but there are interest charges - do these charges generally outweigh the possible gain of a longer position?

Has anyone got any experience with them?

I generally take the long view, and lacking sophisticated day trading software etc(and not being a day trader - I check prices at most 2/3 times a day at work!)

Thanks
    Michel:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

check out the sticky on investing options or follow this link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=251576

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Hi there -

You can hold them for longer, but there are interest charges - do these charges generally outweigh the possible gain of a longer position?

Just on the answer to this specific question

- the interest rate charge should be cost neutral, and is just suggested as the appropriate charge based on an option-pricing model (such as Black-Scholes).

In general it shouldn't matter whether you hold them for long - or - short term, as the charge for holding longer will (on average) counteract the benefit of increased volatility in the underlying share price.

Of course, this depends on what the specific charge is. It may be too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

one other issue -

as per the sticky - CFD's are phenomenally risky, and really should only be invested in when you have mastered the basic risk of general stock market investing.

of course, that is what also makes them fun!

Advertisement