Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's 22 for Italy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

only 3 leinster backs in squad:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

good to see David Wallace in the 22, same for J Flannery... both in top form at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

RuggieBear wrote:
    only 3 leinster backs in squad:eek:
    noticed that myself!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

[FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]THE 22-MAN IRELAND SQUAD (v ITALY) is as follows:[/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Forwards (12): [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Rory Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Simon Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Simon Easterby (Llanelli) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Jerry Flannery ([/FONT][FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Shannon/Munster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]John Hayes (Bruff/Munster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Marcus Horan (Shannon/Munster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Johnny O'Connor (Wasps) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Malcolm O'Kelly (St. Mary's College/Leinster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Backs (10): [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Shane Horgan (Lansdowne/Leinster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]David Humphreys (Dungannon/Ulster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Geordan Murphy (Leicester) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Brian O'Driscoll (Blackrock College/Leinster) (CAPTAIN) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Eoin Reddan (Wasps) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster) [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
    No Corrigan and Byrne.................*sigh* bout time
    Reddan and Trimble made th cut but no Heaslip or Murphy. Long tournament though. Looks like Flannery is the new Irish Hooker:D
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=tahoma,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Anyone taking predictions for the back row?
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aido123

At least Wallace and Flannery for their go

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0125/ireland.html

My team after the weekend based on the panel

1-Horan
    2-Flannery
    3-Hayes
    4-O’Callaghan
    5-O’Connell
    6-Simon Easterby
    7-Wallace (But O’Connor to play)
    8-Leamy

(I know Munster biased but nobody can deny it’s a damn strong pack)

9-Stringer
    10-O’Gara
    11-Trimble (but bowe will get nod)
    12-Darcy
    13-O’Driscoll
    14-Horgan
    15-Murphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Back row
    4 POC 5 MOK
    6 JOC 7 Wallace
    8 Leamy

not sure where Easterby will go either 7 or 8 as well.

CJhaughey wrote:
    Back row
    4 POC 5 MOK
    6 JOC 7 Wallace
    8 Leamy

not sure where Easterby will go either 7 or 8 as well.

not really answereing the question eh? you are calling 6 players for 5 positions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Sorry CJ but of all the combinations that backrow is the worst.

Easterby (if he is to play) will play at 6, considering he was stand-in captain, and defensive linkman I think he'll start.

O'Connor can only really play 7, Wallace and Leamy have played across the back-row.

Leamy was favoured at 8 in the AI and he did ok there, I think this is an experiment EOS wouldn't ditch just yet, so I'd say Leamy is to start at 8.

That leaves O'Connor and Wallace going for one position. Hard to know who Eos will go with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭CCOVICH

Don't think Tommy Bowe is good enough, but it's hard to see him playing anyone else on the wing (based on the squad announced)?

Or could he go with D'Arcy at full back, Murphy on the wing and Trimble in the centre?

Flannery definitely warrants a start (over and above Shehan when fit) from what I've seen.

Would like to see Wallace, if only as an impact sub for O'Connor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭JuliusFranco

i'm actually shocked!
    Delighted there's no Shance Byrne, guwan Flannery!

I think it'll be the Munster tight five with
    6 Easterby (certain)
    7 O'Connor
    8 Leamy

It's a 50/50 but I think O'Connor will probably start but he will have to do well to keep Walace on the bench. I'm happy that EOS has included Walace and I think it's good to have him as an impact sub.

As for the backs, i'm really shocked there's no Denis Hicky. Is EOS actaully building for the RWC 2007.
    Could Bowe get in ahead of Horgan? Naaa
    I have a feeling Trimble could actually start at outside centre, with D'Arcy/Murphy being able to interchange at wing/full back.

Although it's probably not going to happen....
    Kearney is better than Bowe I think...
    The Girwanator is injured to there's no real suprise (apart from Hickey's exclusion) that there's only 3 Leinster backs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I wonder how long it will be before Jennings gets in. Gleeson must feel hard done by too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Presume Jennings is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I am delighted to see Eoin Reddan in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'd assume the hickie thing might have something to do with hickie's own expectations of his fitness - anything i've come across show that if he isnt playing well (especially after an injury) he'd prefer to sit it out until he's properly happy with his fitness.

O'Connor/Wallace - EOS has a serious problem with Wallace (i would love to know why,seems to be more personal that anything) and because of this the situation is that Johnny o connor will start at 7 even though Wallace IMHO is the very best in Europe at 7 at the moment, and has been all season, his strength ball carrying ability is second to none, not to mention his work in the loose. Dont get me wrong, O'connor is a class act, but he got his chance at 7 when he was on the top of his game, now its time to give wallace his chance

Hickie - To be honest i presonally was both shocked and delighted to see EOS showing some balls finally by dropping one of the "old reliables". He has been a fantastic servant for ireland and will be there as inspiration and back up for the future. But he has never fully recovered from his achiles injury and i believe that his lack of fitness and extra yard of pace, combination of injury and age will now be the end of his top flight international career.

At Number 11 - Bowe will most probably get the nod,however i would like to see Trimble in there. He has played there for Ulster and certainly has proved affective as we have seen in the autumn. He is much stringer than bowe which especially for the italian game would prove more effective with their physical presence poor baby tommy boew would get creamed i feel

Darcy at full back - in one word - NO. Christ himself and driscoll are a class pairing. Eddie would be mad to make this choice. Did ye watch the game at the weekend at all, they know each others game inside out and at international level, familiarity is vital....

.... for the same reason i would play o callaghan with o connel but i think o kelly will get the nod :-(

Any thoughts???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Regardless of who he picks, I'm still terrified by the prospect of the same EOS gameplan we got last year...kick for position, the occasional over-rehearsed backs move etc. If we play like that again we'll get hammered by the usual suspects. Again.

Hippo wrote:
    Regardless of who he picks, I'm still terrified by the prospect of the same EOS gameplan we got last year...kick for position, the occasional over-rehearsed backs move etc. If we play like that again we'll get hammered by the usual suspects. Again.

totally agree, he has destroyed Murphy at full back with that game plan,my god look at him in england,one of the best in the game. I reckon Eddie plays with the opinion that he has a sub standard squad and that they need posession to scroe yet when you have backs like driscoll darcy and murphy we should be up there with the best of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

aido123 wrote:
    totally agree, he has destroyed Murphy at full back with that game plan,my god look at him in england,one of the best in the game. I reckon Eddie plays with the opinion that he has a sub standard squad and that they need posession to scroe yet when you have backs like driscoll darcy and murphy we should be up there with the best of them
    Absolutely, Murphy is unrecognisable playing for Leicester. Is there any hope of a change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 PAIMEI

The backrow I'd love to see would be 6. Wallace 7. O Connor 8. Easterby. I reckon its the combination with the most balance, Wallace as a ball carrying blind side, O Connor to compete for ball at the breakdown and Easterby to fill in the gaps. I think Leamy is a fine player but he doesnt seem to have one defining feature, he's good at everything and I think its a problem we've had in Ireland with our back rows, we tend to have Jack of all trades and masters of none, Easterby, Wallace and Leamy are able to play in any of the 3 positions but lack something for each position if you know what I mean, Wallace is an ideal 8 but he's playing his rugby at 7 for Munster, Leamy is a quality 6, but could line out for Ireland against Italy at 8, Easterby is a great backrow player but I'm not sure where he's most effective. O Connor is the only out and out definite 7 we have, he's the stereotypical 7, but cant play anywhere else across the backrow. I just hope EOS picks a backrow and lets it gel and mature together and doesnt start chopping and changing.

• Advertisement

Hippo wrote:
    Absolutely, Murphy is unrecognisable playing for Leicester. Is there any hope of a change?

In a word....NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

15. D'arcy
    14. Murphy
    13. DOB
    12. Trimble
    11. S.Horgan
    10. Rog
    9. Strings
    1. Horan
    2. Flannery
    3. Bull
    4. POC
    5. MOK
    6. Leamy
    7. JOC
    8. Wallace

I think that is the most balanced backrow, but it'll probably be Leamy at 8 and Esterby at 6.

With the backs, I'd have D'arcy at full back because thats his natural position, can't remember the last time he played there though. Murphys form on the wing for the tigers makes him a shoe in on the wing and I think a BOD/Trimble centre could do very well. Probably won't happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ruck-it

aido123 wrote:
    Dont get me wrong, O'connor is a class act, but he got his chance at 7 when he was on the top of his game, now its time to give wallace his chance
    O'Connor is mostly a Sky Sports media invention, he plays in the GP ergo he must be better than what the Celtic League has to offer. Don't get me wrong the guy played well in last years Six Nations in comparison to everyone else, but besides that the only time he comes to my attention is when he's giving away penalties for holding on to the ball when he's attempted to carry the ball on. I watch the guy every time I get a chance and he just never impresses me, if anyone has got some examples of him doing something to show him deserving of the reputation please put me right. At the same time I'm not the biggest Wallace fan in the world, he's capable of vanishing in the middle of games but I'm even over stating that downside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭ruck-it

GreenHell wrote:
    15. D'arcy
    14. Murphy
    13. DOB
    12. Trimble
    11. S.Horgan
    10. Rog
    9. Strings
    1. Horan
    2. Flannery
    3. Bull
    4. POC
    5. MOK
    6. Leamy
    7. JOC
    8. Wallace
    Nice squad, that's pretty much what I'd go for. I'd swap O'Driscoll and Trimble around though, and as I mentioned previously wouldn't let JOC within a country mile of my team. Jennings preferably at 7, but failing that Gleeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

put simply munster have one of the best packs in europe and Leinsater have the best backline so half and half should do it!

i know Hickie didnt make it but i am surprised at that but its good to see Wallace back as he is one of the best ball carriers we have in the pack!

also im sure this is a well played tune but Trevor Brennan should be in the squad at the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

daveirl wrote:
    There is nothing better than seeing the Leinster backs run it from wherever in the park it generates chaos in the other teams but with a decent quick pack we could run rampant. Even Munster are running things from there own 22 these days. Ireland should go with it and see how it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Nukem wrote:
    There is nothing better than seeing the Leinster backs run it from wherever in the park it generates chaos in the other teams but with a decent quick pack we could run rampant. Even Munster are running things from there own 22 these days. Ireland should go with it and see how it works
    Ireland will be given a sound drubbing by at least 2 teams in the 6n as long as EOS is given a free hand.
    TBH I wouldn't be unhappy if Ireland finished last and EOS got the bullet, at least we would have some chance of a decent coach for the RWC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

My Team:

1. Horan
    2. Flannery
    3. Hayes
    4. O'Connoll (capt)
    5. O'Kelly
    6. Leamy
    7. Gleeson
    8. Wallace
    9. Anyone but Stringer
    10. O'Gara
    11. Bowe
    12. D'Arcy
    13. O'Driscoll
    14. Horgan
    15. Murphy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

agree with anyone but stringer , hes too bloody small , like having only 14 men !!!!! arrgghhhh

Advertisement