Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Please drive responsibly'

Options
  • 24-01-2006 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭

Just noticed that Mitsubishi had added this disclaimer or public information message to their cringeworthy 'Irish people know the value of diamonds' radio spots. It sounds completely incongruous in that context and strikes me as the result of a boardroom brainstorming session to find something cheap they could do so as to be seen to be at least acknowledging the fact that there are a lot of people killing themselves and others on the roads.

Since Mitsubishi have taken this step we'll now almost certainly see every other manufacturer following suit and this useless byline will be appended as an afterthought to as many adverts as possible, á la the drinks industry.

Personally I don't think car manufacturers are to blame in any real way for the problem, something which can't be said for the alcohol bottlers and marketeers, and I guess repeating the instruction ad nauseam can't really do any harm, but how did the idea that such a phrase is actually listened to gain currency? It's shameless lip service and nothing else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Agreed. More lip service/PC nonsense. You definitely can't hold Mitsubishi or any other driver responsible if someone is driving their products like a pr!ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

As you said I think it's just lip-service. Can you imagine it on a hand/shot-gun: "Please shoot responsibly!" :)

Can't really hold the manufacturers responsible - but probably won't stop a litigation addicted nation Nation suing :mad:

Advertisement