Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who know their flash - reply pls!!

Options
  • 24-01-2006 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hi guys!

I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight to flash. I made this site in 2002 after playing with flash for a couple of hours(use IE not firefox), and later made some pritty damn good animations (some of which amazed me!).

I have a good feel for the animation process involved with flash, and can animate my way around most situations. I got my hands on flash 2004 MX off of the college library, and its a totally different work space. I can do my old stuff in it easy enough, but through playing around with it i found that it has alot of the attributes that vb.net has an so on but i cant find my way into coding them.

For example, combo boxes. I found out how to add lables to it (so when it drops down such n such is listed). How can i, in vb terms do something like

if combobox.text = pants, a textbox shows certain text and so on.

I was trying to do some basic stuff that would be simple in VB, but trying it in flash is proving to be a bit annoying.

In the 'actions' part, i have the option of adding actionscript, which does not in anyway seem beyond me. Is the actions Tab the same as in VB where you would code your work? Or is the actions tab in flash just for that particular object to which you want to code?

Defining variables, and so on, where do i do it?

If anyone can help me out with this it would be great. I think at the moment i just need small stuff like.

command buttons triggering certain objects
    How to use what appears in combo boxes
    How to add text to a text field, and have it stored in a text file

I think that once i can get my head around the workspace, its not really a case of learning the code, or learning how to code with actionscript. The only limit is myself, as im sure you are firmilliar with, and i feel pritty confident once i get on my feet with this lark.

Any input will help, as i find tutorials to always take me in a direction that i dont want to go to, and stey completely off the subject

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Thanks tom! Ill look into that for sure

Anyone else's input is more than welcome too!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd revise how the animation is embedded in the page. It doesn't display in FF 1.5 with Flash 8.

I'd revise how the animation is embedded in the page. It doesn't display in FF 1.5 with Flash 8.

As per red_ice's first post:

"(use IE not firefox)"

tomED wrote:
    As per red_ice's first post:

"(use IE not firefox)"
    Whats you point? That people who don't use IE should have to to see the site? Because thats just crappy web design.

BTW, doesn't open in Opera 8.5 either.

• Advertisement

haha, i've got alot from that already tom, your a legend!

Its all the small crap you learn with any auld programming language i need to get my hands on. How to use cmd buttons, list boxes, textboxes, update a text file and so on. From that little bit of code, i have most definitly learned alot!

n1

mooooooreee!!!

Whats you point? That people who don't use IE should have to to see the site? Because thats just crappy web design.

The point is that he knows it doesnt work in anything other than IE - he's asking a question about something else....

If you read the thread you would have realised that.

tomED wrote:
    The point is that he knows it doesnt work in anything other than IE - he's asking a question about something else....

If you read the thread you would have realised that.
    Ah. "use IE not firefox", as in "use to view", not "I use" which is how I took it up. Nice and ambiguously worded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

And we poor Mac users are spared its no doubt overpowering glory. *wipes a tear*

lol

you lads have to consider the fact that i made that site with no experience of webdesign of any sort what so ever! I didnt make the HTML frame, another friend did, and he was a total noob to it aswell heh

• Advertisement
Advertisement