Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering Surname (.ie)

Options
  • 24-01-2006 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

I am looking to register my surname, eg bloggs.ie but from reading some of the rules I cant do this! Are the .ie rules really this strict? It seems (to me) to be stupid to have such a policy. I have read that some people register themselves as a company to get around it but I dont want any of the hassle having to upkeep a company registration so I can have a domain. Its for a personal site, no commerce whatsoever. If I do have to register a business name (20E) whats the upkeep on this a year? What if someone has the name Bloggs as a company name but dont have the domain? Surely if they havent bothered registering it and I have valid claim to it I can register it?

This situation just seems so typically Irish!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's very little to stop you registering "surname.ie" as the business name, and then claiming it for yourself. You can also do variations on your name. For example, my surname is "Daly". Someone registered the business name "Daly & Associates", which gave them legitimate claim to the domain "daly.ie". I'm not bitter, I only saw it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

seamus wrote:
    There's very little to stop you registering "surname.ie" as the business name

Is there anything stopping you at all? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

It may seem very strict, but on reflection I think it is a good idea. It gives added confidence and a sense of 'quality' to Irish businesses and also gives the consumer a sense of security when dealing with comapnies with .ie domain names. That was the whole prinicple behind the idea.

I don't think there's any real need for a personal site to end in .ie. I agree, it would be nice to have your own name registered with your own country's domain but you can always register your initials (eg: jb04.ie) or just use .org or similar. In reference to the business name registration, you don't have to do anything once you register but I'm sure this is frowned upon and it will catch up with you in the end.

There may be other ways around it so if you really feel that you need a .ie domain then I would have a comprhensive read of the IEDR website and see if anything else makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

blacknight wrote:
    Is there anything stopping you at all? :D
    Well, perhaps if you're broke.... :)

There's little no upkeep on a business name. So long as you're not making any money under the business name, you shouldn't find yourself in any trouble.

You could also do it the hard way:
    Discretionary Name:

We require a detailed letter from the applicant outlining their claim on the proposed domain name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

From CRO
    Specifically registration of a business name is required if:
    an individual uses a business name which differs in any way from his/her true surname. It makes no difference whether the individuals first name or initials are added. So registration is required if, for example, Mr. John Murphy traded as Murphy Builders but not if he traded as Murphy or John Murphy);

So I dont have to register my name as business name according to the CRO. But to satisfy the iedr I do. :rolleyes: Anyhoo it looks like the only way is to register a business name. And whats more I aint a business! I guess what is really annoying me is that I am joe bloggs trying to register bloggs.ie not someone-elses-surname.ie

One last question, if I do register a business name do I need to keep renewing it every year with CRO / report / file to the CRO?
    Edit: Sorry was ages doing my reply and missed your later posts. Thanks for all the replies and advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Novara.ie

Well with alot of things rules are rules, and for something like registering .ie domains to run without any issues, I suppose we have to take the rough with the smooth.

I'm not sure about renewing a CRO number, your better off asking the CRO (Obviously :D )

Its the easiest and fastest way of registering a .ie domain. Even just applying for a CRO number and providing the receipt for the transaction will suffice to get the domain registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

No you don't have to renew with the CRO.

Novara.ie wrote:
    Even just applying for a CRO number and providing the receipt for the transaction will suffice to get the domain registered.

Provisionally ....

If you don't supply the actual CRO number the domain will be deleted from the zone

blacknight wrote:
    Provisionally ....

If you don't supply the actual CRO number the domain will be deleted from the zone

Yeah but your given 8 weeks to provide that so once you've received the number and the IEDR are notified then its good as gold.

From what I've seen anyway, the majority of people who go for .ie domains are serious about what they want to use it for so rarely have I seen anyone leave a domain application lapse unless they wanted to cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I believe technically speaking, if you're registering an RBN (as a person, not as a company) you will be required to furnish accounts/income tax returns, as you'll be, technically, self-employed. If that is correct, then whether or not you did business wouldn't change the fact that you are obliged to submit the returns. It is a legal obligation to file the tax return. Having said that I've never heard of anyone ever getting in trouble for this, and I'm sure the Revenue have better things to be doing with their time anyway.

An RBN is a once-off registration charge. It doesn't have to be renewed. It ceases to exist only when you file that intent with the CRO.

IEDR will take the RBN number (which will be issued to you within a couple of working days, which is usually before you receive the actual RBN certificate).

I'm reasonably sure that if you can prove you're trading under the name Bloggs (and not Bloggs Computer Services), you'll get bloggs.ie, which would invalidate your point about CRO not requiring a registration, but IEDR requiring one. You would have to prove that though, and that would most likely be in the form of an accountant/solicitors letter, or a tax clearance cert, or tax correspondance to/from your accountant with a TAIN and your trading name.

The rules are there to protect the use of .ie domains. Those rules cost money to implement and police (and the prices are coming down). So it's a question of whether or not it's worth protecting/controlling the .ie ccTLD, or whether it should be a free for all. IMO it's worth it, and was worth it back when .ies ware over a hundred quid.

.cg

• Advertisement

Novara.ie wrote:
    From what I've seen anyway, the majority of people who go for .ie domains are serious about what they want to use it for so rarely have I seen anyone leave a domain application lapse unless they wanted to cancel it.

That might be due to the different markets. We would see quite a high volume of incomplete applications from people who are simply "chancing their arm"

blacknight wrote:
    That might be due to the different markets. We would see quite a high volume of incomplete applications from people who are simply "chancing their arm"

Ah yeah, I'd agree there alright, but usually those people can be sussed out when first looking at their application of even just talking to them on the phone.

Advertisement