Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An idiots guide to Buddhism?

Options
  • 24-01-2006 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey, well my first step to buddhism is I learned how to spell it correctly yay!

I have heard bits and pieces about Buddhism and I have liked what I hear. My interest in the music of George Harrison got me first interested in it and then I read a bit about it on wikipedia and it made a lot of sense.

Still, I am hazy as to what EXACTLY buddhism is. Ideally, I would like someone to recommend a book or website that I can read which will tell me all about the religion. Also, where do buddhists practice in Cork?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jackie g

Hi,

in terms of books to read, i would recommend any or all of the following !!!

Tibetan book of living and dying by sogyal rinpoche
    Pure heart, enlightened mind by maura o’halloran
    How to practice : the way to a meaningful life by the dalai lama and Jeffrey Hopkins
    The heart of the buddha’s teaching by thich nhat hahn
    Start where you are : a guide to compassionate living by pema chodron

in terms of websites, I would recommend www.buddhanet.net which has lots of useful links, I would suggest rigpa centre in cork if you are interested in meditation classes etc . Details below.

Rigpa Ireland - Cork
    6 Sydney Place, Wellington Road, Cork
    Tel: (0) 21 505 949
    Web site: www.rigpa.ie (click on the cork link to get details of their programme)

best wishes, Jackie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Fireglo wrote:
    Hey, well my first step to buddhism is I learned how to spell it correctly yay!

Great start:)
    Read anything by the Dalai Lama. If possible, get a video of any of his public appearences and see how you respond to him as a person. That will help you to focus on what aspect interests you. And use this forum, lots of wise people here would love to communicate with you.
    Regards from Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Is reading "Journey to the West" any kind of intro ? I'm about halfway through the first book so far.

Is reading "Journey to the West" any kind of intro ? I'm about halfway through the first book so far.

It does indeed. I am actually watching it on Japanese TV (on tomorrow night). The original writing was spun of into a classic Chinese theater production called the a something disturbence in the ether, and into a tv classic which I used to watch in Ireland in the 70s called the Tales of Monkey.

It counts as an introduction in my books

You can get the complete Monkey box set of play.com .. I know cos I have it sitting at home.

The nature of Monkey was .. irrepressable!

• Advertisement

The nature of Monkey was .. irrepressable!

Indeed it was. I hope you get to see the new version. The old ham acting is gone, but it is not bad. I will check to see if their are planning for an international version for you. Actually, thinking back to monkey, that was probably my introduction to Buddhism. Amazing were one gets that original kick from.
    You are into Asatru (Troth) right? What was the original kick that sent you on your quest?

Asiaprod wrote:
    Indeed it was. I hope you get to see the new version. The old ham acting is gone, but it is not bad.

I quite liked the old ham acting. Its entertaining.
    Asiaprod wrote:
    I will check to see if their are planning for an international version for you.

Please do. If you've any links I could check out, send them on as well.
    Asiaprod wrote:
    Actually, thinking back to monkey, that was probably my introduction to Buddhism. Amazing were one gets that original kick from.

Most likely mine as well. I've also an interest in the samurai and bushido, so have touched on zen a few times reading up on that as well.
    Asiaprod wrote:
    You are into Asatru (Troth) right? What was the original kick that sent you on your quest?

Hard to say. I've had an interest in norse mythology since childhood. I use to wear a pewter pendand with the tiwaz rune on it without knowing it was a rune, or that there was anything more to it than that.

I started reading the runes about 10 years ago, after a friend did a very accurate tarot reading for me. I figured I'd pick up a tarot deck myself, but didn't find any that appealed. I came across a rune set at the back of the shelf and something inside me just said "Right". At that point I'd never even heard of asatru.

The first I heard of asatru was in an overheard conversation about what spiritual path the various star trek races would follow, I heard the word "Klingon" and that caught my attention. I looked up asatru on the web, started reading up on it, and just more and more things started tying in with that.

I'm not sure if I found it, or it found me, but it seems to be the right path for me to be on.

I'm not sure if I found it, or it found me, but it seems to be the right path for me to be on.

I will get back to you tomorrow on both posts, the better half just got home and eh....you know the story. Lot of good stuff here to ramble on.

Remeber the old maxim in relation to the ...it found me.
    When the student is ready, the master will appear. Does not just apply to Buddhism dontcha know:)

Asiaprod wrote:
    I will get back to you tomorrow on both posts, the better half just got home and eh....you know the story. Lot of good stuff here to ramble on.

No worries. Was out fairly late myself last night, so didn't get a chance to reply till this morning.
    Asiaprod wrote:
    Remeber the old maxim in relation to the ...it found me.
    When the student is ready, the master will appear. Does not just apply to Buddhism dontcha know:)

I've also seen asatru refered to as "the religion with homework" :)

It is very much up to the individual to read through the sagas and eddas and draw their own truths from them.

Advertisement