Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought a Joomla Book!

Options
  • 24-01-2006 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I've just pre-ordered this book. Looks promising! It should let me glide easily into the world of CMS... :D

Anyone else ordered it? Or if you're already using Joomla, do you have any opinions on the software? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I'd be interested in finding out how useful you find the book.
    I just start to play around with joomla.
    Might giving a short review when u get it and play around
    with the book?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Packt have some very good texts on open source software. If the Joomla one is anything as good as their previous publications it should prove to be a worthwhile investment

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Yeah the price wasn't bad and I've been meaning to start exploring cms so fingers crossed.

I'll post a review when I get it. Although don't hold your breath. It's not due out until Feb some time and I'm away (in Australia :D ) for March so it will most likely be April when I can really review it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Arch-Stanton

I have been using Joomla since they launched it and it’s excellent. However, the immediate drawback at the moment is file ownership when you upload certain components and templates; the system sets the owner as “httpd” or “500”.

If this happens, you won’t be able change permissions or edit the component online. You would have to email your host to “chown” the effected files back to the site owner. It’s not a big deal as all hosts will do this for you.

The developers at Joomla will have this fixed in version1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

I have been using Joomla since they launched it and it’s excellent. However, the immediate drawback at the moment is file ownership when you upload certain components and templates; the system sets the owner as “httpd” or “500”.

If this happens, you won’t be able change permissions or edit the component online. You would have to email your host to “chown” the effected files back to the site owner. It’s not a big deal as all hosts will do this for you.

The developers at Joomla will have this fixed in version1.1

Have you tryed joomlaxplorer to “chown” ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ConsultClifford

I've just pre-ordered this book. Looks promising! It should let me glide easily into the world of CMS... :D

Anyone else ordered it? Or if you're already using Joomla, do you have any opinions on the software? :)

Ive been using it for the last hmmm two years (including its now forked off predecessor Mambo).
    I've built many websites/extranets with it, developed many custom com/mods for clients and can say its quite powerful.
    The book might get you off to a good start but it will not teach you anything thats already out there on the many forums (joomla mambers etc etc ) and tutorial sites.

Good Luck anyhow.
    Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Arch-Stanton

Have you tryed joomlaxplorer to “chown” ?

joomlaxplorer will allow you to "chmod" but not "chown" , however, it will show the file ownership rights so it would make it easier to identify files with incorrect rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

...The book might get you off to a good start but it will not teach you anything thats already out there on the many forums (joomla mambers etc etc ) and tutorial sites...
    Yes, I read a similar review about their previous Mambo book. I'm sure the Joomla book wont be far off (just a few "find & change" edits :D ). But if gets me off the ground I'll be happy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You would need to have root access to "chown"

Advertisement