Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

Options
  • 24-01-2006 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi,

Im currently running a Sequal DB and am having issues accessing it. Currently I have a table called tblUserInfo with all the users and passwords. I have created logins in the Security Section on Sequel. Below is the error Im receiving when I enter in the relevant credentials.
    Any help would be again much appreciated..

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database requested in login 'SiteDB'. Login fails.

/index.asp, line 14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I assume you are using MS Sql

basically the error means that you cannot open the default db for the specified user
    1: check if the db you are trying to open exists
    2: open a query window and login using the username/password of the user you are getting the error on
    If this doens't work ensure you can loging as sa
    3: Open enterprise manager go to security and select the user
    right click properties and select Database Access
    ensure that the database you trying to access is selected
    click ok

Open a new query window and you should now be able to logon
    try again from asp

let us know how you got on

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭The Mighty Dubs

How you doin'
    I went through what you suggested but still negative

1) The db exist
    2) Im not too sure how to login via a "query Window" So i just logged in the way I usually did but got the same error
    3) Its defo pointing towards the DB.

Now I then thought it may be the ODBC connection and messed around with it but get this new error instead....any ideas????

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e4d'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

/index.asp, line 14

afternoon your sql security is screwed up!!
    there are two ways to access a SQL Server
    1: Integrated security. Basically you access the database using your domain username/password
    2: SQL Security where by SQL Server manages access to the database. You normally create a new account in sql server and use that instead of domain.

So a few questions
    1: Is this for Work or Homework/college
    2: Either way is there a DBA/Network admin who knows about SQL ? they could probally fix this for you in 2 mins (unless you are the dba in which case you have a problem!!)
    3: Where is SQL Server installed ( Local machine, server or an internet site)
    4: Are you working with SQL server locally or is this a SQL server installation hosted on the web for a web site
    5: Is this a new installation of SQL server or an existing one
    6: To open a query window Start->Program->SQL Server->Query Analyaser
    7: Do you know the SA password?

this is easy to fix once I know the setup

Hi,
    I would prefer option 2 of the first 2 options regarding the security. It would be much safer...wouldnt it...

OK..
    1: Its a work thing
    2: I am unfortunately the dba...my first sql database....altogether...ahhhhh
    3. Its installed on the server
    4. this is sitting on one of our network servers but is to be used for a website.
    5. Fresh install of server
    6. Gotcha
    7. The SA password is password. I will change it when I get this thing working

Hopefully these are the answers your looking for....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

4. this is sitting on one of our network servers but is to be used for a website.

7. The SA password is password. I will change it when I get this thing working

Hopefully these are the answers your looking for....

I sincerely hope that server isn't accessible from th'internet.

• Advertisement

Not anymore, just changed the credentials

*cries*

ok so if you open the Query window
    select SQL Server Authenticaion and enter username of sa
    and password of password
    can you now connect?
    what error do you get?
    In the dropdown list of databases do you see master and the all other relevant databases?
    If you can't get this working send me a pm with a contact no and I'll ring you.
    Does you company need some SQL Server consultancy? :) (hope that last comment doesn't break any rules on this forum.)

what credetials?
    did you block the sql port for inbound traffic?
    is you sql server patched to the latest version?
    ohh loads of thing to ask but they might scare you!!

Have you read the documentation at all? I remember I set this up a couple of years ago with no trouble and no experience; I'm not even used to using Windows. It shouldn't be difficult.

• Advertisement

did you get this working?

Kind of. I can access the site now from inside our firewall but not outside it. Its a start anyway. I messed around with the permissions and stuff and got this side of it working but not externally.

Im currently running SQL server 2000 on Windows Server 2003.
    I ran a patch called setspn.exe on the 2003 disk. as per the following page

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;871179

Now its asking the following

3. At the command prompt, type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command:
    setspn.exe -a http/IIS_computer's_NetBIOS_name DomainName\UserName

setspn.exe -a http/IIS_computer's_FQDN DomainName\UserName
    Note UserName is the user account that the application pool is running under.

But Im having problems with this as it wont recognise my Username in the cmd prompt....

Any ideas?

are you running sql express ?
    you based in dublin ?

Not sure what sequel express is. Just running the standard as far as I can make out. And yes im in Dublin

Advertisement