Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help :(

Options
  • 24-01-2006 5:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Ok, MAJOR problem on my mate's laptop. His computer was riddled with viruses and his protection software was expired so he uninstalled, got AVG and did a scan. AVG found files and moved them to the virus vault. Now, when he starts up, clicks on his account, an exlorer.exe error comes up. Nothing loads, ctrl-alt-del brings up the task manager but it's completely empty. Any ideas? Since it was my idea he got AVG, he's blaming me for it <_< Any help would be UNBELIEVABLY appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Eh... what OS does he have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wind00ze

have ya tried running the av from safe mode? some times that can work or doing a system restore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

When it brings up taskmaster

Click file, new task run, And type expolorer.exe

Report back what happened.

Also if his comp was riddled its his own fault, tell him the Problem isnt AVG its when he sits infront of the computer ;)

Thats not helping though, see if you can get into Safemode and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

As soon as you touch a family or a friends PC - I've found that everything that goes wrong from that point on is your fault.

"The colours on my printer aren't as vibrant ever since you changed my keyboard - can you fix it?" etc.

Static m.e. probably meant explorer.exe. To be honest I'd advise you to not get involved in the fix - it'll bite you in the ass whatever the outcome. Personally I'd rather rebuild after being riddled with viruses anyway, it'd be much cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Explorer is trying to load the infected (virus) dll when it loads.. when it can't find it its obviously complaining like mad... there are a few ways around this:

Check with AVG whats currently in its quarantine.. if there are any dll or similar files, then do a registry search with regedit for them.. they will be loaded from within there.

Alternatively scanners like adware might do the above job for you.. they'll generally find unwanted registry entries that they have signatures for.

If its windows XP then use msconfig to see whats loaded at startup... try disabling anything that looks conspicious and reboot to see if it had an effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

what about using the system file checker to restore the corrupt files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Nothing beats a nice clean format & OS re-install ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bungeecork wrote:
    As soon as you touch a family or a friends PC - I've found that everything that goes wrong from that point on is your fault.
    Once you touch their PC or make any recomendation they are entitled to free tech support for life :rolleyes:

Advertisement