Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensitive tooth after filling?

Options
  • 23-01-2006 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭

Is it normal for a tooth to be sensitive after a filling? Got a filling a week or two ago and since then, the tooth has been sensitive to hot and cold. It's pretty annoying. I suppose it makes sense, now that I have a piece of metal embedded in my tooth to conduct heat and cold straight to the nerve...

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Can be,the conduction wont make any difference,dentine is a GREAT insulator. the nerve is just a little unsettled as its been injured. (drilling dentine damages the nerve because the tubules that make it up get dehydrated, or packed with bacteria, leading a direct path into the pulp) also local anaesthetic can damage the nerve if injected around the tooth as the vaso constrictor in it slows blood flow in the region.
    it will either settle down in a week or two or it will need root canal possibly if its very deep or a large wide filling.
    the one other thing is that amalgum experiances alterations in physical properties and as far as i can remember contracts very slightly for a few hours and then definately expands after this. also corrosion products help seal the filling tooth gap which is sensitive to capillary action as well as hot and cold.
    once the restoration settles down u are either good to go (in 90%) of cases or in the rare case will need root treatment/ or removal. that pretty much sums it up,good luck with it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Very informative. Thanks :)

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement