Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats wrong with it?

Options
  • 23-01-2006 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

My Packard Bell is acting up. When i power it on, everythings grand except the screen is very dark, i have to hold it very close to me and at an angle to see anything. However when sometimes (i've been turning it off and on) its grand. It did this before for a few days at the start of december but just as i was going to bring it back to PC world, the problem stopped. And now it's back!

Anyone have any experience with anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

sounds like there is a problem with the invertor which converts power for the backlight in the display, the fact that its working sometimes or at some angles could indicate a connection that is making or breaking or else the invertor is on its way out. I'd say it will probably go altogether eventaully, i.e. screen permantly dark. i'd say bring it back to get sent for repair, telling them its intermittent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

thanks, it's pi$$ing me off so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

What about checking the brightness settings?
    Many laptops have an application from the manufacturer to control the brightness of the screen and other power saving settings. A possible reason why it works at startup and shutdown is because that application is not running.
    My laptop does something similiar where at startup the screen is much too bright but when the application loads up that controls the screen brightness it dims to what I have set it to.

Turned it on just now and what do you know but it's back up and running grand!

ai ing wrote:
    What about checking the brightness settings?
    Many laptops have an application from the manufacturer to control the brightness of the screen and other power saving settings. A possible reason why it works at startup and shutdown is because that application is not running.
    My laptop does something similiar where at startup the screen is much too bright but when the application loads up that controls the screen brightness it dims to what I have set it to.

how would one go about changing these settings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

toiletduck wrote:
    how would one go about changing these settings?

Most laptops use a combination of FN + F6/F7/F8, usually a brightness symbol with + or - on the Function keys to turn up or down the brightness.

daywalker wrote:
    Most laptops use a combination of FN + F6/F7/F8, usually a brightness symbol with + or - on the Function keys to turn up or down the brightness.

yeah that didnt fix it when it was on the blink.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Test in BIOS.
    If NOK, Remove external devices (USB, etc.) and re-test.
    If NOK in the BIOS still - it's a hardware issue most likely.

If it's OK in the BIOS: Boot into Safe Mode;
    Start -> Run-> devmgmt.msc -> Expand Display Adapters ;
    Right-click on the entries ;
    Select Uninstall - confirm removal ;
    Reboot.

Advertisement