Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow.biz

Options
  • 23-01-2006 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi.

I registered Carlow.biz two years ago. I havent been able to come up with
    anything I could do a website on, other than a business directory (but that
    would be quite a large project).

So I'm looking for appraisals (your opinion on its current/future value to reseller
    and enduser).

I had it appraised about a year ago at the very popular Domain Name Forum,
    DNForum.com. They average appraisal was about €400. Though most of the
    people appraising were Americans, and none were Irish.

I'd like to know how much you think it would be worth from an Irish Perspective.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭ChicoMendez

Fortune wrote:
    I'd like to know how much you think it would be worth from an Irish Perspective.
    Thanks in advance.

the price you paid for it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Appraisals on something like that are a waste of space. Aside from it being too specific, people don't generally want BIZ domains, they and INFO never really took off. If someone actually wants it, ask how much they'll pay for it. If no-one has asked, you'll be lucky to sell it as you'll have to approach people and they'll be in the position of authority. If this was the case I'd either sit on it until someone approaches me, or more likely just let it expire.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'd give you a couple of times the annual registration fees, but not a cent more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Fortune

How can you say it BIZ and INFO never really took off when there are more than 1,291,676 BIZs registered and more than 2,405,264 INFOs registered (http://www.whois.sc/internet-statistics/)

They both have also had strong sales. Here are some recent ones;

Alice.biz - €3,000 = $3,634
    eBooks.biz - €1,760 = $2,135
    Funds.info - $22,246
    Meningitis.biz - $15,000
    Musical.info - $13,936
    SantaClaus.info - $12,307
    Cards.biz - $11,750
    Find.biz - $10,630
    Südtirol.info - $10,308
    Auto.biz - $7,966
    Maschinenbau.info - $7,772
    BES.biz - $7,139
    Wetten.info - $6,895
    Pets.biz - $6,500
    Offshore.biz - $6,500
    TravelNet.info - $6,231
    Juego.info - $5,909
    Leather.info - $5,861
    Dad.info - $5,556
    Chinese.info - $5,500
    Safe.biz - $5,189
    Manhattan.biz - $5,000
    Broker.info - $5,000
    WhitePages.biz - $4,995
    Marketing.biz - $4,748
    Golfreisen.info - $4,906
    Adventure.info - $4,708
    Pauschalreisen.info - $4,507
    MyHouse.biz - $4,500
    Manhattan.info - $4,500
    HTML.info - $4,300
    Physician.info - $4,150
    Degrees.info - $3,800
    ChurchOfChrist.info - $3,750
    Pauschalreise.info - $3,606
    OGM.info - $3,602
    GEP.info - $3,576
    Attest.info - $3,559
    Suez.info - $3,500
    New-York.info - $3,500

Also see;
    http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2004-expanded-newtld.htm
    http://dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2005-expanded-newtld.htm

So I would say plenty of people want .BIZ and .INFO domains, and they did take off. Nothing like .com, but no-one can expect them to reach that level in all honesty.

Anyway. I think I'll hold onto it for a few more years.

You may have forgotten that a lot of the growth in .biz and .info is inflated by the promotions the registries and registrars have run over the last 2 years. They basically gave away .info domains!

Another thing worth mentioning is the perceived validity of .info and .biz

Many spam filters will score mail from .biz and .info domains higher than mail from other domain extensions. This is not a coincidence :D

• Advertisement

Fortune wrote:
    How can you say it BIZ and INFO never really took off when there are more than 1,291,676 BIZs registered and more than 2,405,264 INFOs registered (http://www.whois.sc/internet-statistics/)
    As compared to 36m COM domains. It's also worth noting the deletion statistics, INFO has dropped by a million in less than a year (April 2005) and although COM deletions outweigh current registrations, that's over the entire existence of COM. BIZ has dropped by a higher percentage in what, 2-3 years?

It's also worth noting the domains you've listed value for -- they're valuable. With no offense intended, CARLOW.BIZ isn't going to be valuable to many people, and it certainly isn't going to be valuable on the world stage, like the domains listed.

You asked for opinions, you got one. I can't help it if you don't like it.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Fortune

I value all opinions, whether I like them or not. I'm very greatful that you took the time to reply to this thread. I'm not saying Carlow.biz is worth much or anything at all.

However I am saying that .biz and .info certainly are not failures, and comparing them to .com isnt right. Since .com has been around since 1985, and .info/.biz have been around for only a few years.

Perhaps "failure" is a bit harsh on the grand scale, perhaps they'll become more popular in time.

However I personally only have one of each (one defensive, the other defensive+adminstrative); the numbers don't add up; I don't know anybody in the business that cares about them; and I wouldn't advise my clients to use them (I manage portfolios).

That to me is not a successful TLD at this point in time. Or, to put it another way, they never took off. See my point?

adam

We hold a growing number of them, but they are primarily defensive registrations.. I can't think of many that are being used as the primary domain except one where the .info is used for their open source project and the .biz is aimed at the paid support options (the .com is being squatted)

Advertisement