Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP: How to connect my laptop to my existing home theatre system

Options
  • 22-01-2006 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,
    I have recently bought a sony vaio laptop( fs 315s). I was wondering whether I will be able to connect my laptop to the sony home theatre system which I am already having( dav-b100) and hear 5.1 surround sound( it already includes a dvd player). If yes what do I need to buy for all the connections, just cables or any sound cards? Do I connect the computer to the dvd player (which already has a dts and dolby digital decoder in it). I am a real novice in these affairs so I would be grateful if you could explain in lay terms and give me an idoits' guide in this regards, Thanks and keep up the great work,
    Ashwin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Re VAIO spec:
    Soundcard: Sound Chip Realtek ALC260 2-Channel High Definition Audio Codec 3D Surround AC 97
    Ports: Headphone out.. that's it. (Although, a seperate Docking Station may have more..)

I'm not an AV expert by any means.

You can connect the laptop <> home theatre system via headphone -> composite cable perhaps. Not sure about the quality of the output though..
    I think you will need a PCMCIA card or USB dongle to improve the output (quality/connectors).

Can you post a link to the specification of the home system please?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You can get one of those Creative Audigy 2 PCMCIA cards to output the sound in 5.1

http://ie.europe.creative.com/shop/product.asp?category=25&subcategory=1&product=743&

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ash81

Hi there,
    Thanks for the reply and here is the link to the specefications for the home theatre systems:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B0001ZN81M/system-requirements/ref=ed_tec_dp_2_1/026-0908496-0261235

If I get the pcmia card I still need to get the cables, right? Also can I use my laptop just as a monitor while watching movies that is taking only the picture out from the laptop and playing the movie through my dvd system. Thanks,
    Ash

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

All the cables should be with the card. It's a fairly comprehensive package for all types of audio. I think it will still play a picture even if the output is to a tv..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ash81

thanks for the reply,
    just another small doubt, will i be able to get the video input to my laptop and use only its monitor just like my tv and watch movies by playing dvds from my home theater system i.e substitute the laptop monitor for my tv. will a tv tuner card do the trick???

• Advertisement
Advertisement