Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I like that book and I want something similar...

Options
  • 22-01-2006 6:09pm

...I must admit I am fussy about books. I don't like fiction, I don't like sci fi, I don't like historical tomes etc. etc. So very often, when I put down a good book, I almost get a sense of despair as to whether I will be lucky enough to find something similar, and have to wade through a lot of stuff I don't like again to find something good.

Maybe there should be a thread or a sticky where people could nominate a book or author they enjoyed and others could suggest other books that the poster might enjoy. Say I said Bryson's 'Short History...' - someone else might then recommend Simon Singh's 'Big Bang' and so on and so forth. Sort of like that 'people who liked this book also bought...' section you see on internet book sites. It would save so much searching around and wading through stuff one just doesn't like...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I find Storycode and Ratingzone great for finding new books. I was in the same position as you are before I found these, never able to find anything I liked. Since I started using these I haven't stopped finding books I like.

Sorry if that sounded like spam :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

Had a look at that Storycode site. Looks pretty good.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I checked out one of those sites, or something similar a while ago. I seem to remember it taking some time to complete a review of the book, and at the end of the process it recommended all of Dan Browne's books. That was pretty much when I decided not to return...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

amazon is great for that too. if you pick a book you liked it usually suggests books by the same author or books along the same vein of thought by other authors its great I find it helpful

Advertisement