Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop for College & Travelling

Options
  • 22-01-2006 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop in the next few months, mainly to use when I'm travelling this summer and for college work. I already have a relatively decent desktop, it's only about 2 years old, so the laptop will really only be used for wireless internet, MS office, music and DVDs. Nothing to intense really; portability is key (so size and weight are important) and a decent battery life would be handy too. Above all it needs to be able to easily connect to (public) wireless internet.

I'm tempted by the Apple iBook and PowrBook even though I've never really used Apple before, but my budget's pretty tight - ideally around the €900 mark, *maybe* I can stretch it as far as €1000. I'm elligible for the Apple eduational discount, even thought it's tiny.

Basically I'm looking for recommendations on good-valued mid-spec systems. I've had a look through the stickies, but I'd like some advice on the Mac VS Microsoft issue before I do any more research.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

To be honest: Centrino is the way to go - it's benefits are comparible with the MAC (i.e. Longevity of battery life, and reduced weight/size of the form), it has built-in wireless ..however, you may find it easier to use a Windows OS (You're familiar with it and the associated app's; and MS Office generally runs "better") and the built in wireless - which may prove more compatible with other wireless AP/hotspots. Also, for the budget-this is a better route..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

Thanks for the reply Karoma.

Can you recommend any good budget brands/models? I wouldn't mind having to get used to OSX that much, so are centrino based laptops really that much better than Macs? I don't know why, but the iBook just really appeals to me. If it's a case of getting far better bang for my buck from a centrino based system, then I'd go with centrino, but should I totally rule out an iBook?

Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Different strokes for different folks,tbh. If you like the iBook -go for the iBook.
    WIntel(Centrino) will provide a bit more all-round compatibility (But this is only because of the existing systems.. ;) )

There are workaround,without doubt. But if you're connecting to a Windows network - chances are that a Dell WIntel jobby will connect and access shares easier..

it's relative:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Have a look at the dell inspiron 630m. Its ultra light and portable and the spec you get for around 900/1000 is quite good. Here's a pic http://notebook.yesky.com/imagelist/05/11/m0d4yp804795.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

Thanks again for the advice. I suppose I'm just going to have to figure out for myself if I really want the added hassles of going for the iBook, but thanks for your input.

• Advertisement
Advertisement