Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Program for designing personal website easily..

Options
  • 21-01-2006 10:47pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to build myself a personal website just full of random things, mostly for my own use but something that othrs might like too. A few years ago I used to do a bit of web design, just html etc, nothing too advanced. I've done a fair few sites before, but I'm just not bothered to design one from scratch for this purpose, I just want to start something and let it grow, and not have to redo everything each time I change someting...

I've heard about new ways of building websites, kind of like the way blogs are put together, but slightly more advanced. Where you pick a template maybe customise it a bit, and then througha program or web based interface, you can add content and manage it very easily. CMS, Moveable Type, Live Journal etc etc.. i've heard the name but know nothing about them.

Can anyone recommend something that might be appropriate here? I want something that looks very clean and simple but don't want to have to actually design it myself. I'm more concerned with adding quality content, lots of it in an easy manor. Does anyone have a site themselves like this that they can show me an exampe of how it works?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Have a look at this, should be exactly what your after, although you do need a hosting account.

http://www.mamboserver.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Why don't you try a wordpress based blog to start with?

You can easily grab a readymade template to use as a base and customise it to your heart's content

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I agree with blacknight; start simple with Wordpress, it's a really great base to start with and will be perfect if/when you want to start hacking away at it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Yes, yes, wordpress is good for this sort of thing.

Advertisement