Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best UK voip package

Options
  • 21-01-2006 9:57pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm thinking about getting a VOIP package while I'm living in the UK, mainly as a result of this new tesco deal.
    The main thing I'd want it for is ringing home, but also a few UK numbers too. Here's the situation I'm in:

No landline in the house
    Only here for another few months so don't want a 12 month contract
    Would like a simple set up, good price etc., and a low priced handset
    I would prefer a kit that didn't need a PC to be on, but not a must.
    Would be really happy if I could transfer my package over once I got home to Ireland

Any suggestions? Would the Tesco package suit me, I'm not even sure if that has a minimum contract etc.,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

flogen wrote:
    Any suggestions? Would the Tesco package suit me, I'm not even sure if that has a minimum contract etc., /QUOTE]

Get any ATA (Grandstream, Linksys, Sipura etc.) and use Voipstunt or Voipcheap.co.uk until you get back and then review the situation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

bhickey wrote:
    Get any ATA (Grandstream, Linksys, Sipura etc.) and use Voipstunt or Voipcheap.co.uk until you get back and then review the situation.

What does the ATA do? Just looking at the voipcheap site and it doesn't have one in the minimum requirements..

That Voip cheap is a bit stupid, it says free calls to certain places but you can only talk for a minute, so it's a bit of a lie really.
    you have to buy credit first or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Check out www.smart076.ie it would be right up your alley. There is no monthly subscription or sign up charge and you pay for credit as you go along. I've got the ATA option so I dont have to have my PC on and can make and receive calls. I will also be getting a 2nd ATA box and will be setting it up over in England so I can make free calls back and forth between the two locations.

Otherwise, its' 2 cent per minute for UK landlines and Irish landlines, which is damn bloody cheap.

TC

TinCool wrote:
    Check out www.smart076.ie it would be right up your alley. There is no monthly subscription or sign up charge and you pay for credit as you go along. I've got the ATA option so I dont have to have my PC on and can make and receive calls. I will also be getting a 2nd ATA box and will be setting it up over in England so I can make free calls back and forth between the two locations.

Otherwise, its' 2 cent per minute for UK landlines and Irish landlines, which is damn bloody cheap.

TC

After looking around on voipcheap I might just stick with that, I need to get my PayPal account sorted but once I do I can just pop a fiver into it and get going, I'll only be using it to ring Ireland landline anyway, the mobile rates are high enough but that doesn't bother me.

I'll invest in a handset first and then get an ATA, whenever I can afford one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

From what I've heard the tesco VoIP in the UK, you get a USB phone which plugs into your PC and you use a soft phone to make calls. Also a few articles I've seen weren't impressed by their service offerings when compared to other UK VoIP providers, however they will bring VoIP more to the public attention as they have more marketing clout than any of their compeditors.

From experience soft phones aren't as good as using a hardware ATA. This is one of the reasons I stoped using skype and now use blueface.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Here is an article on tesco's VoIP form the register.

Advertisement