Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC Adaptor Question

Options
  • 21-01-2006 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

I have an appliance that says on it 9v and underneath it says 2.2a. Does that mean i have to find a ac/dc adaptor that does not got above 2.2a or does it HAVE to be EXACTLY 2.2a? Im having trouble finding one. Dont want to buy one off the supplier as they are usually very expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

AFAIK, whatever adaptor that you use has to be in or around 2.2a as anything over and above that could damage the device, same with the voltage settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

Thats not true, your voltage should be the same as quoted but the Ampage(MA) can be more than the original, basically it will take the power that is needed, so you will need a 9v adaptor with at least 2.2A, although you could probably go a little lower say 2A,

Just like a battery its MA reading is basically how much energy is stored inside, a device will take what it needs until its empty,

• Registered Users Posts: 32 captainfuture

You'll DEFINATELY need an adaptor with AT LEAST the Amperage of the load you want connect; In case the adaptor can't provide the power required by the device because its amperage is too low for what is drawn, in the best case its internal fuse will trip if not the whole adaptor breaks sooner or later due to overheating of some components.
    Nevertheless the Voltage has to be the specified one, using another one than that can damage your equipment.
    Keep in mind using an adaptor that is not supported for your device your warranty can become void.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

You should always match voltages (within 1-2%), and always have at least the amount of current needed. My amp needs about 1.5A current - I have a 10A supply and there are no probs :)

Advertisement