Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer deal on laptopsdirect

Options
  • 21-01-2006 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Anyone had any experience with the Acer Aspire 1654WLMi or anything in the Acer 1650/1690 series. An offer on Laptopsdirect.co.uk looks excellent, but im paranoid with notebooks. I'm looking for something to do lots of image processing work and some gaming with, what do you think?

Specs anyway..
    Intel Pentium-M Centrino 760 Processor Technology 2.0GHz
    1GB DDRII SDRAM
    100GB Hard Drive
    DVDRW
    15.4" XGA Widescreen TFT Screen
    ATI Mobility X300 128MB dedicated graphics

This is for £800, about 1170 Euro. not bad eh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Not a bad jobbie,Acer seems to have a good name on boards,by the looks of things thats not bad,you should use your saving to splash out on that double memory upgrade they advertise.the memory will make image processing on PS great,nothing worse that a lagging machine while using Photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

you should use your saving to splash out on that double memory upgrade they advertise.
    It would probably be cheaper to buy the memory elsewhere (like www.crucial.com) and upgrade it yourself. I asked them about that on a different laptop, £45 Sterling for an extra 256MB (around €30 from crucial). And thats for an extra 256 stick, ie. both slots are being used which means you'll have to take one out if you want upgrade again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

chalky wrote:
    It would probably be cheaper to buy the memory elsewhere (like www.crucial.com) and upgrade it yourself. I asked them about that on a different laptop, £45 Sterling for an extra 256MB (around €30 from crucial). And thats for an extra 256 stick, ie. both slots are being used which means you'll have to take one out if you want upgrade again later.

Agreed.

"Gaming" ... please specify some games that you are intent on running as the required spec. for each game differs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭TuathaDeDanaan

I'll let you know whats it like when I get with, which I probably will now. I tried Irish companies like Microaid, but they are charging over €1,300 compared to €1170 from laptopsdirect in the uk.

Karoma, games like CS:Source and maybe(!) BF2 on very low detail I would hope to play. I'm more concerned with the notebook components quality messing up the gaming then the specs itself, I remember before having an Iinspiron 8500 and it not being able to handle the sound in BF1942 because of a noncompatible integrated soundcard. This is why i am asking if anybody actually owned one of these computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

I'll let you know whats it like when I get with, which I probably will now. I tried Irish companies like Microaid, but they are charging over €1,300 compared to €1170 from laptopsdirect in the uk.

Karoma, games like CS:Source and maybe(!) BF2 on very low detail I would hope to play. I'm more concerned with the notebook components quality messing up the gaming then the specs itself, I remember before having an Iinspiron 8500 and it not being able to handle the sound in BF1942 because of a noncompatible integrated soundcard. This is why i am asking if anybody actually owned one of these computers.

This will handle CSS just fine, and i would bet BF2 on low settings would also work :). Once you have the laptop and installed CS, pm me and ill show you how to get maximum fps if you wish :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

3023wlmi has a semperon up to 3400 512mb ram but does have a not advertised 100gb drive and an x700 not 600 as advertised, runs Fear on medium high settings with ease. I would suggest that one, as I have one and it is really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭TuathaDeDanaan

Laptops direct (by phone) said the acer 3023wlmi only can come with a sempron 3000+ 1.8ghzcpu. I cant find a benchmark comparison between that 1.8ghz sempron 3000+ and a pentium m 760 2.0 ghz so i dont know how they compare in desktop applications or indeed in 3d performance with their respective graphics cards.

Also with the 3023wlmi i'ld have to pay 119 extra for 2x512mb dimms, so maybe im just better off with the 1654WLMi (intel 2.0ghz, 1G ram and a x300) when you weigh that.. difficult choice..

Advertisement