Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which to choose?

Options
  • 20-01-2006 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hiya!

I’m looking to buy a new laptop and would love some suggestions and advice!
    I've been looking at the dell latitude x1 and the IBM thinkpad x41 but cant decide which is better!

I'll be mainly using it for college at the moment but i don't want to have to replace it when i leave! i don't have a budget either.

It'll also need to be lightweight and small as i'll be travelling alot.
    if you can think of an alternative id love to hear that too!
    thanks!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

..and college work would entail what..?
    If you don't have a budget and portability and performance are important: see the Sony VAIO Tx series:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ghettogrl

thanks! ill look it up now.
    presentations and so forth for college..but i don't know what i'll be doing after and i dont want to have to replace this one so i dont want to make a mistake!

...the course/subject matter would go some way to giving us an idea of what you'll be using it for during and after college... otherwise, required spec. for OpenOffice or MS Office is all you need..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What about an Ibook ,they are quite small?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ghettogrl

im studying business and languages..(and then maybe continuing to do a masters?). i thought about the ibook but im used to using windows.
    if you had to pick between the dell or ibm which would you choose? (i can get a good deal on them)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mac OS X is very easy to use, even if Windows is all you know. The thing about the iBook is that it's very portable (weight 2.2kg), has the best operating system I've ever used, Mac OS X is very good for multilingual stuff (I've found it a lot easier to use than my Windows XP desktop for Japanese assignments)

However, if you want to stick with Windows, the Dell X1 is a very nice laptop, but quite expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭tech

what ever you do DONT buy a sony they are crap, Dell X1 are a lovely laptop but keyboard very small, Id go for a DEll over the IBM !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

IBM without question.

I have used IBM's over the years and they are the most reliable piece of technology. I have travelled all over with them and they never let me down.

I have used other laptops (HP and Dell mostly) and can say there is no comparison in build quality and reliability.

Disclaimer: I don't work for IBM. :)

IBM tbh - it stands a better chance of lasting the years required...

Advertisement