Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoIP N00B

Options
  • 20-01-2006 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭

Ok so Ive being doing a little reading through the forums here and as always boards has a solution for everything and people who know a lot about it too.

I dont want to jump head first into this and subscribe straight up to any of the Irish VoIP companies and was thinking about trying out VoIP with something like voipstunt.com. Am I correct in saying that the only disadvantages this has over a subscribed package are:
    1. Cannot receive calls from another landline as you cant get an Irish number yet
    2. PC must be on to make the calls
    So my question is if I go out and buy an ATA and hook up a phone to my PC will this work with voipstunt or do I have to go the USB phone route? Or is an ATA just an adapter to make a phone a USB phone..

Even just using this to make all local and international phone calls should cut down the phonebill to a bare minimum?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

An ATA is like a router that you can plug a phone into. The idea is that you don't need a computer.

It depends on the VOIP provider and what protocol they use. Blueface do a free one week trial. I found the quality much better once I bought an ATA but I would recommend trying that.

They give geographic and 076 incoming numbers with their subscription packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Also voipstunt is €10+1.60 sales tax for every 4 months but it is free to the likes of UK\USA as well as local here.
    I'm using a microphone+speakers but will be getting a headset which will cut out on background noise alot.

Edit: Got headest, quality on vopistunt is alot decent. Drawback is they don't issue voip number in this country yet but that doesn't bother me. Also making calls from PC is a personal choice hence getting headset and not getting a real hardware solution. Irish Mobile calls are 25c/min if that helps, i still think €11.60 every 4 months is a very good package!
    Rates - http://www.voipstunt.com/en/rates.html

Advertisement