Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Ireland releases €20 month always on 1mb product

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'm very excited about this package I hope it will give a kick in the balls to the timed packages *maybe* even sound their death knell. This should helps those worried over price to make up their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Looks like they're offering a 1mb package including line rental for €35 a month. Which means it is only €11 quid for broadband. When the average Internet Bill excl line rental is around the the €35 mark too, this is a good deal. If only there was a way of removing line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

damien.m wrote:
    If only there was a way of removing line rental.
    That would require some sort of Unhooking of the Local telephone infrastructure Damien - no such thing has ever been attempted in the entire world!! We've got to concentrate on achiveable aims and not on pie-in-the-sky technology; now if you will excuse me I must send one of those new fangled electronic telegrams I hear so much about, for free, to a friend of mine IN ANOTHER COUNTRY! :eek: What progress we have made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

damien.m wrote:
    Looks like they're offering a 1mb package including line rental for €35 a month. Which means it is only €11 quid for broadband.

Its a lot cheaper than any of their flat rate bundles too. Now if they could be persuaded to reconfigure their flat rate bundles as they migrate their userbase to low cost DSL it could be a useful exercise. The flatrate packages are as they were when launched years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Its a lot cheaper than any of their flat rate bundles too. Now if they could be persuaded to reconfigure their flat rate bundles as they migrate their userbase to low cost DSL it could be a useful exercise. The flatrate packages are as they were when launched years back.

I would think the line quality issue would prevail. I wonder how many BT "flat-rate" customers there are? I wonder what moving 50% over to DSL would do to the country's stats...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

so long ripwave u crappy piece of **** excuse for broadband!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LINKS TO CURRENT PACKAGES
    http://www.esatbt.ie/echannel/res.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=res_products&residentialProducts_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FresidentialContent%2Fproducts%2FbbBenefits
    Broadband Special Offer
    €15 per month for the first 4 months
    €30 per month for every month thereafter
    Reduced one-time connection fee €50
    Six month minimum term
    Broadband and Line Rental special offer
    €25 per month for the first 4 months
    €40 per month for every month after
    Reduced one-time connection fee €50
    Six month minimum term
    Save on calls with BT Talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

The Indo's take on the BT offer:
    Broadband price war looms as BT offers €20 monthly bill
    Ailish O'Hora

A PRICE war in the Irish broadband market is looming.
    BT Ireland is introducing a hi-spec product for €20 a month which offers double the download speed of some basic services.
    The move is expected to put increased pressure on competitors to follow suit.
    It follows an agreement between telecoms watchdog ComReg and Eircom to reduce the wholesale rates it charges other operators to use its network to provide high-speed internet access services.
    Catrina Sheridan, marketing director at BT Ireland, said yesterday that reducing prices will drive demand.

Aggressive
    She added that the company, which has about 30,000 broadband customers, has aggressive plans to grow this figure by the end of the year.
    Currently similar products, with speeds of 1Mb for an always-on service, from the likes of Eircom are priced at €29.99 although a number of new offers are expected over the coming months.
    A 1Mb service from Irish Broadband costs €35.99 a month while Smart Telecom has a 2Mb offering at €35. Some operators, like Irish Broadband, do have cheaper offerings at slower speed levels starting at less than €20.
    There are currently about 250,000 broadband customers in Ireland. This country has one of the lowest penetrations of broadband in Europe.

Speed
    According to BT Ireland, the company is also increasing the speed of its broadband product range for existing customers and dropping the connection charge for all new subscribers to €40, a €10 discount.
    The changes in speed will mean that both of BT's existing products will automatically increase by 1Mb each to 2Mb and 3Mb, respectively, for free.

Many analysts have said the low penetration of broadband in this country affects our competitiveness especially as many of the new EU member states have overtaken our connectivity levels.

A recent survey from the OECD showed that Ireland ranked 19th out of 22 countries in the body's Science, Technology and Industry Scoreboard 2005. It showed that Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary had more households with fast internet access.
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

[slightly OT]The Sunday Times today carries an article advising consumers about how to save on Internet/Broadband access in the UK.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I wonder if it would be possible to combine this product with the vulnerable user scheme. It's only a couple of squids the difference, mind you, so probably not worth hassling BT Ireland's CS staff with...

Blaster99 wrote:
    I wonder if it would be possible to combine this product with the vulnerable user scheme. It's only a couple of squids the difference, mind you, so probably not worth hassling BT Ireland's CS staff with...

twould be if you stayed with eircom for line rental .

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

[slightly OT]The Sunday Times today carries an article advising consumers about how to save on Internet/Broadband access in the UK.

P.

I suppose it's another sign of how much worse things are here, when the only mention of rural areas in the UK article is in relation to fewer options for broadband compared to urban. There's no mention of total broadband non-availability made at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

And what do eircom counter with?
    This afternoon the company revealed a 20pc drop in the time-based 1Mbps/128Kbps service from €24.99 to €19.99, a 25pc drop in the always-on 1Mbps/28Kbps service from €39.99 to €29.99 and a 20pc drop in the business time 1Mbps/28 Kbps service from €20.65 to €16.52.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Be interesting to hear the reply when some journo asks Eircom how they can justify being 50% dearer than Bt for the same product, given that Eircom "own" the lines to begin with.

That "timed" broadband product from Eircom should now be scraped. Its ridiculous, and flys completely in the face of what makes broadband so appealing....fast and ALWAYS-ON !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

wow bt have only 30000 broadband customers. god help us if it gets near 50000 as at the moment their not even able to handle the billing system for what they have or answer emails withing the 4 day criteria they set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AgainTheTime

Went to order British Telecom Ireland's new 1MB DSL this morning on their website and guess what:

"Sorry, but our ordering system is currently unavailable."

Ended up having to ring the order in ffs!

I really hope they don't screw up the billing like they did when I was a voice customer of theirs before, I didn't get billed for 6 months and then got hit with a €500+ bill!!

I know i'm taking my patience in my hands by going with British Telecom Ireland but it really is the best offer out there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Would also be very tempted with Bt's offer but after past experience like many others its just not worth the hassle. Will wait+hope the others bring out the same

Cubix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Went to order British Telecom Ireland's new 1MB DSL this morning on their website and guess what:

"Sorry, but our ordering system is currently unavailable."

Ended up having to ring the order in ffs!

I really hope they don't screw up the billing like they did when I was a voice customer of theirs before, I didn't get billed for 6 months and then got hit with a €500+ bill!!

I know i'm taking my patience in my hands by going with British Telecom Ireland but it really is the best offer out there for me.
    Their online ordering system has been borked for a while now. Even when it was working it was problematic with orders dissapearing and whatnot. Ringing in the order was always the better option. Give them a ring every couple of days to keep them on their toes.
    cubix wrote:
    Will wait+hope the others bring out the same
    You'll be waiting. They had their chance to better or match it but decided not to. Maybe Smart is available to you?

kaizersoze wrote:
    Their online ordering system has been borked for a while now.

Their phone lines are ringing out and the callback does not do what it sez on the can, I wonder if they are all off getting trained on their new billing system :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Their phone lines are ringing out and the callback does not do what it sez on the can :p
    I've experienced this before, waiting on hold for 30mins then choosing the callback option only for it to cut me off before I get a chance to give it my contact number.

Beyond frustration when that happens...

Advertisement