Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coaches covering their mouths

Options
  • 20-01-2006 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hi,

I used to watch the NFL all the time on C4 in the early 90's. When Sky got the rights I kinda lost touch and have just started watching this season again.

One change I've noticed is that most coaches always cover their mouths when speaking into their headsets during the games.

I guess this is to stop themselves from being lip-read when talking strategy. My question is - was there some major incident over the last 10/15 years that led this to be common practice among all coaches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tbh i always thought that was to try and block out the staidum noise when they spoke into the microphone...much like people try yo do when on a mobile in a loud environment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

It's to stop opponents from lip-reading. AFAIK there was no major incident, it just developed that way. Teams did (and do) indeed have staff attempt to lip-read opposing coaches.

Advertisement