Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCAD Exams

Options
  • 20-01-2006 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi

Been looking at getting some extra cerification under my belt for a while now had started to look at the MCSE but that fell by the wayside due to work commitments. i have now started to consider the MCAD (Microsoft Certified Application Developer) ? Microsoft linky

The Exams that i was looking to take were:

Exam 70–306 Developing and Implementing Windows-based Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET

Exam 70–310 Developing XML Web Services and Server Components with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET and the Microsoft .NET Framework

Exam 70–330 Implementing Security for Applications with Microsoft Visual Basic .NET

Has anybody previously taken these exams that could give me some feedback or what is peoples opinions of these exams and are they wothwhile taking?

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've never needed them and have worked with very few who have them. MCSE is a networking qualification is it not? And MCAD is a development qualification. Are you new to I.T.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

No i have a BSc in software engineering but have very little experience in .NET programming and am just thinking of upping my skill set so that i can get out of the support role at a helpdesk and move into the development or systems admin side of the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Well if its development then go for the MCAD and if its Systems Admin then MCSE (i think).

Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

I have a voucher for sale here. I know it doesn't include any of the exams you list, but if you're interested, gimme a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

just want to get peoples opinon of the MCAD certification before i start studying to take the exams

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I have the MCAD. I have been developing with .Net since it was released and decided last year to get some evidence seeing as I'm a college dropout from way back. I'm glad to have it but I have no knowledge as to whether it improves your chances of gaining employment as I am still in the same job. If I was an employer I would be looking for someone with the MCAD but also with some projects under their belt or some good websites developed that they could point me too. This is simply because you can pass the MCAD by memorising brain dumps and knowing absolutely nothing about development. I would recommend you have a look at .net to see if it appeals to you as a technology in the way it appeals to me. i.e. I am very passionate about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Let me put it this way. It can't hurt to be MCAD certified. I got it in Dec 04 but I have no idea if it helps get a job because I'm still in the same job I had back then. I dont know if companies really pay any attention to it as a certification because as musician said, you can pass it just by learning braindumps. However, if a company wants to be a microsoft certified partner or a gold partner, they need partner points which are awarded for each non-mcp certification (ie: mcad, mcsd, mcse etc.) so that could help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Sry, dont know why it was double posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

How do you go about obtaining the MCAD qualification? I know how to earn the MCAD, but in terms of obtaining it, where do you undertake the exams? How do you apply? etc...
    Shamrock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

you'll find a link on the microsoft website somewhere. There are test centres around Ireland. I did the VB6 MCP 5 or 6 years ago in Loughlinstown FAS centre.

I don't have the MCAD myself but I am (slowly!) studying for them at home. I would recommend the MCAD to anyone who needs to learn .NET. It gives you something to aim for and, as with most things, if you learn it properly you're less likely to develop bad habits.

As for being able to memorize the brain dumps, if you apply for a job and don't meet the standard you say you are at, you will be exposed straight away. Employers know about brain dumps, they also know how to spot someone who has bluffed their way from someone who does actually know their stuff. Probation periods are there for that very reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement