Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singer/ songwrite needs band

Options
  • 20-01-2006 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Finally I have founs a site which I think can help me! I am a singer/ songwriter from Cork and I am hoping to form a new band. I have recorded on my own however I am missing the "live" element!! My style has been described as a cross between Dido, U2 and somebody even said the Corrs! I don't aim to write in any particular style - the songs just come out as is. If anyone is interested or can lead me in the right direstion I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

heya

are you trying to find musicians for a back up band or are you trying to possibly form a band (i'm pretty allergic to the singer/songwriter model)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mise_Brady

It would be for back up. I want to stay solo if possible. What do mean by you are allergic to that model??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i don't think i would want to be in anyone's 'backup' band unless i was being paid for the 'privelidge', so unless you want to pay i don't think you'll be too successfull..

What are you looking for in a backing band? Just someone to play your music, or people to help you write your music?

Oh of course i would pay!! I would form a band if i couldn't get a support band but to be honest I had a bad experience working in a group before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i don't mean to generalise

• Advertisement

hi people,

i'm after getting some very good advice from people within the music industry and so my needs have changed a bit. I was told it would be better to be in a band as opposed to having support. And to do 80% cover material. So if anybody in Cork would be interested please let me know. I am open to suggestions regarding the genre to use for cover but i wouldn't feel very comfortable singing heavy rock or metal - it's just not me. Oh ya and my brother has the equipment and software to do any necessary recording so we wouldn't have to worry about that cost!

thanks for reading, Mise

Mise_Brady wrote:
    hi people,

i'm after getting some very good advice from people within the music industry and so my needs have changed a bit. I was told it would be better to be in a band as opposed to having support. And to do 80% cover material. So if anybody in Cork would be interested please let me know. I am open to suggestions regarding the genre to use for cover but i wouldn't feel very comfortable singing heavy rock or metal - it's just not me. Oh ya and my brother has the equipment and software to do any necessary recording so we wouldn't have to worry about that cost!

thanks for reading, Mise
    who's giving you your advice?

You're either a full blown covers band or you're an original band, there is no go between unless you're playing covers gigs part time(rather than working 9-5) to fund the originals band..

Unfortunately I cannot tell you who gave me that advice. I disagree with your point though. When a band who wishes to do original material gigs I think it is important to play some cover music also as the crowd do not know their music initially. After a while you can filter out the cover material and concentrate on your own stuff.

Mise_Brady wrote:
    When a band who wishes to do original material gigs I think it is important to play some cover music also as the crowd do not know their music initially.

Well that's your opinion and i'll guess we'll have to agree to disagree.. I've never played a cover at a gig and will only do so to please myself and not the crowd. If a crowd cared about whether or not they hear covers then they would go and see a covers band, not an original one. Besides, generally when a band plays a cover they play an inferior version which forms nothing but bad opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 olearysa

I'm in cork have been playin the drums for bout four years but have never really been in a proper band as such,jus messin around with mates like,will play anythin cos jus love playin the drums in general

• Advertisement
Advertisement