Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Streets - Over rated?

Options
  • 19-01-2006 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

I am listening on internet radio to The Streets "It's Too Late", and I got to say every song i hear from the Streets seems to have the lyrics of a Leaving Cert english poetry student.

I think the beats and music are good, but I really don't get the how the lyrical content is held up as some kind of "urban poetry".

I mean compared to something like Bob Dylan lyrics or the rapping of P.E, Nas or Jay-z, or some of the word play from the likes of Eminem, it sounds like Skinner is just scribbling down his first thing that comes to mind.

Anyone else think they are over rated? Or any fans about to find out where i live and break my face?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

its very original and brilliant music listen to the full two albums and than get back on boards and u can have a real disscussion just cause u have heard the singles there more like stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

I would guess that a lot of his fans would be basically chavs. He's appealing to them.

Its not so much that his lyrics are great, its what he raps about that makes him popular. He raps about getting drunk in the local and trying to score birds etc. Its something a lot of normal people can relate to, more so than the lyrics of 50 Cent or Jay-Z for example.

It helps that the music and beats are good. I like his stuff. For the record I'm not a chav though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

He did a good job selling the ammount he did but id say its going to fade into obscurity now I doubt anyone else will get away with doing what he did, the whole just talking bit but you never know. The problem is I personally think allot of the songs sound simular, very simular and people might get bored with it in the future when he releases another album unless he changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

chiller wrote:
    its very original and brilliant music listen to the full two albums and than get back on boards and u can have a real disscussion just cause u have heard the singles there more like stories!

Why, do the lyrics of the singles get better once you have listened to the full albums?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wicknight wrote:
    Why, do the lyrics of the singles get better once you have listened to the full albums?

Well the second album tells a story about a missing £1000 from start to finish... I'd actually have to say the lyrics do get better after you've listened to the full album. Second album anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm not really sure that this stuff is Rap anyway.Skinner clearly doesn't rap.And his lyrics are average.I liked the first album but the second one was hugely over hyped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Hip

He needs to get a decent producer, some of the production on both albums is really poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Orizio wrote:
    I'm not really sure that this stuff is Rap anyway.Skinner clearly doesn't rap.

Its defo different but its rap (rythem and peorty) its a very basic kind of rap I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Well I don't think he claims to be a rapper. Neither do people like Saul Williams. It's spoken word.

The first album is great. The 2nd is an admirable effort (a concept album that isn't utterly ****? Well I never) but after hearing it 2 or 3 times I never felt very compelled to go back to it.

He does have a point Wicknight. The singles aren't really singles. They're better when heard in the context of the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Fine.Spoken Word.Still not liking it and still wondering why we are talking about Skinner on a rap forum.

I'll stick with Sway and Roots.Infinitely better.And they rap.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Orizio wrote:
    I'm not really sure that this stuff is Rap anyway.Skinner clearly doesn't rap.And his lyrics are average.I liked the first album but the second one was hugely over hyped.

I think they are pretty much classed as garage. i like both albums, but couldn't listen to them too often, its something a bit different and better than most of the stuff you hear in the charts. the albums do flow together nicely though, i like the narrative style of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Ballboy

IM not there biggest fan but I do listen to em!!
    They are not over rated because they are not even rated very highly anyway!

Advertisement