Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Networks !

Options
  • 19-01-2006 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I now have 13 open networks showing on my pc, just installed a cheap wireless card from Maplins. Live in Drumcondra Dublin. If Eircom Broadband ever cut me off I certainly would not be stuck..Soon you will not need a broadband a/c, go to maplins buy a card...away you go..A little knowledge is a dangerous thing !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wind00ze

too much knowledge can also be dangerous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Don;t know what the rules are in Ireland anymore but in the UK a man recently got a five month jail sentence for 'piggybacking' on someone else's network, he was judged to have 'stolen bandwidth' thus depriving the network owner of speed and download capabilities. :(

My own opinion is, if you leave your network open, you are inviting trouble! you wouldn't leave the house in the morning witht he front-door wide open so why do the same with your network, they are becoming the same thing more and more!

That said, 'piggybacking' can be dangerous to the invader, if the invaded knows what they are doing >) hee hee!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

look at wireless forum to see lots more negative views.

if piggybacking off a home user, remember there are few uncapped soulutions in this country most ISP's reserve the right to re-charge. Also if they are on dialup then it's direct theft. If hacking into a company, well that's what Mr Judge type person will be led to believe you were doing..

of course there are honeypots out there too ;)

Advertisement