Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a New laptop

Options
  • 19-01-2006 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I want to get a new laptop but I'm not sure what to get.
    As I posted before in this forum, a friend has offered me his old laptop for €500,
    Its a toshiba satelite L10
    - Intel Celeron M 1.4Ghz Processor
    - 256MB RAM
    - Win XP SP2
    - 64 MB intel graphics (not sure what exactly)
    - DVD/CD-RW drive
    - about 3 or 4 months old
    - + an external wireless adapter

I was also looking at this laptop Here

I want a laptop for college, with XP, wireless, reasonable potability (couple of hours battery life, I'm a big guy so weight/size not much of an issue), DVD, 512 RAM, decent processor, for as cheap as possible.

Do you think I should go for the 2nd hand laptop? I'd be upgrading the RAM anyway (around €50 for an extra 512).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

I'd go for the new one. Laptops have a a habit of being very easily broken. So personally I'd never go for a second hand one, even if it is only a few months old, unless you can be sure it hasn't gotten a few knocks before you bought it.

I've heard of and seen the Acer laptops, they look the biz certainly. As for reliability and all the rest I haven't a clue, but if its new it'll at least come with a warranty.

If you want a third option try this.

A friend recommended them to me, the IBM Thinkpad. He says they're the best laptops he's ever used. Since he's a bit of a computer whizz I believe him! :)

Not sure about pricing etc though, sorry.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Thanks. I think the IBM Thinkpad is a bit expensive though.
    One small thing about the Acer, the battery life is only 1.5hrs.
    Does anyone know anything about Acer? Any other suggestions/Opinions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KC1980

I would recommend the Acer. I bought one not so long ago for Laptops Direct. It was nice to find an etailer that I could also call for advice. They also have a customer service line which is getting more and more rare.

Advertisement