Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powercut in O'Connel Street yesterday

Options
  • 19-01-2006 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi,

I came back from work around 4.30pm and some of the shops on the left side of the street between SUPERMACS and Arthur's Quay were without power. The SONY CENTRE had power but SUPERMACS was pitch black. ROCHES had lights on but PENNYS was without energy. In Arthur's Qay only TESCO had electricity. The clock at the clocktower on the PENNYS building stopped 3:05pm. It's strange because some of the shops had electricity and some not...

Does anybody know what happened?

IB

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I work in Smyths out on the Childers RD, our lights flicked on and off about half 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Maybe some of the shops like Roches & Tesco have generators. I'd imagine it would be essential for somewhere like Tesco to have them due to all the fridges & freezers. Roches might have them since they had the grocery dept. Just an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

The same thing happened in Caherdavin all the lights went out
    in supermacs and that area there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Probably someone digging up Bedford Row cut a cable they weren't supposed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

I was thinking about those generators as well - especially as TESCO and ROCHES don't have windows. But i thought the keep the business running for maybe 15 or 30 minutes to shut down the "systems" properly (and to send the people away :D ). But maybe they have indeed stronger ones - for the freezers and so.

IB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya my lights (caherdavin area) flickered on and off for about 2-3seconds a couple of times yesterday between about 3and 5

Advertisement