Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick Rugby - public or private?

• 18-01-2006 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭

Was disagreed with when I said Limerick rugby wasn't a mad private school thing. Wasn't sure and didn't have schools to back it up so I let it go assuming I was wrong.
    But I always have to clarify things.
    If Im right is there any big public schools you know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Sangre wrote:
    Was disagreed with when I said Limerick rugby wasn't a mad private school thing. Wasn't sure and didn't have schools to back it up so I let it go assuming I was wrong.
    But I always have to clarify things.
    If Im right is there any big public schools you know?

St Munchins is private, Cresent Comp is state run afaiaa.

Rugby in Limerick isn't as closely tied in the school to club sense as it is in Dublin. Clubs like Young Munster and Shannon don't have any ties with a school, officially or unofficially.
    Whereas in Dublin you play for your school's old boys. I remember a certain amount of controversy when Neil Francis went from Blackrock to Old Belv.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

St. Munchins isn't private. Villiers and Glenstal are private schools but they're both crap at rugby. Munchin's and Cresent are probably the biggest rugby schools, followed by Ardscoil Ris and lately Castletroy College, St Nessan's, St. Enda's and St. Clements also have teams but they aren't great.

Schools rugby isn't as big in Limerick as it is in Dublin or Cork, could explain why Limerick clubs are the most successful in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I think in limerick rugby transcends all social classes like it does in Wales and New Zealand and unlike Dublin 4 and most of England.

All sports are played in most areas, Garryowen would be seen as the "poshest" of the big clubs in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I think in limerick rugby transcends all social classes like it does in Wales and New Zealand and unlike Dublin 4 and most of England.

unlike in dublin 4 huh....? well i think rugby in coolmine or tallaght transcends all social classes too but lets just compare it to the poshest part of dublin.

• Advertisement

Whether it's deserved or not, Leinster rugby is often seen as the sole preserve of the private schools. I realise the IRFU are trying to broaden the base but it will take years before they are successful in this regard. Like it or not, in Dublin and Cork, rugby is seen as a posh sport.

St. Munchins isn't private.

Really:confused: I always thought it was. Sorry to all old Munchkins for that.

Used to be the seminary school. It has some boarders (or at least it used) but I don't think it's out and out private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

St. Munchins isn't private. Villiers and Glenstal are private schools but they're both crap at rugby. Munchin's and Cresent are probably the biggest rugby schools, followed by Ardscoil Ris and lately Castletroy College, St Nessan's, St. Enda's and St. Clements also have teams but they aren't great.

Schools rugby isn't as big in Limerick as it is in Dublin or Cork, could explain why Limerick clubs are the most successful in the country.
    Ah now, Glenstall can be a handy enough team. Depends how many of the squads players players are good. I played them a couple times, the first 3times they were excellent nut the last time they were rubbish. Villiers rugby team is useless altogether. Most of the Private schools teams are crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭gjim

Munchin's (my old school) and a lot of other schools you'd be surprised to hear are nominally private. Pretty much most schools in the country except for comprehensives and community schools are in theory private. Obviously, most don't charge 10K a year to attend but the way education is run in this country, the state picks up the tab for teachers salaries even if the school is private and also is generous with providing capital investment grants.

Basically the notion of a "private school" doesn't mean the same thing it in this country as it does in the UK and so the basic argument isn't really valid. It certainly doesn't mean that your parents have to be rich or even middle-class if you attended a "private" school. A better distinction would be "fee paying schools".

• Advertisement

gjim wrote:
    Munchin's (my old school) and a lot of other schools you'd be surprised to hear are nominally private. Pretty much most schools in the country except for comprehensives and community schools are in theory private. Obviously, most don't charge 10K a year to attend but the way education is run in this country, the state picks up the tab for teachers salaries even if the school is private and also is generous with providing capital investment grants.

Basically the notion of a "private school" doesn't mean the same thing it in this country as it does in the UK and so the basic argument isn't really valid. It certainly doesn't mean that your parents have to be rich or even middle-class if you attended a "private" school. A better distinction would be "fee paying schools".

True, I went to secondary in Abbeyfeale and the school there is supposedly a private school and apart from the usual "voluntary" contributions no fees were payed by the parents. We only stared playing rubgy when I was doing my leaving cert (perhaps this why I did so crap:p )

Schools rugby is now reasonably well established in Limerick thanks in main to the Munster C Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

All Limerick schools (as far as i know) have a rugby team, well i dunno about Limerick Tutural, but pretty much all schools do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Yet Christians and Pres in Cork always win :)

Of course they do, the talent is spread too thin in Limerick, and the big 2 in Cork bring in players on scholarships. Limerick clubs tend to beat Cork clubs though.

Advertisement