Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to participate in an experiment? Males or females 18-22

Options
  • 18-01-2006 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

I need a little help. Basically I need at least 10 males and 10 females aged between 18-22 to rate some photos for me. Rate them by appearance from 1 - 10 with 10 being highest, 1 being lowest. I need no personal details whatsoever just make sure you are between 18 and 22.

This is really important : DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWERS ON HERE - PM THEM TO ME. Ok? Everything is 100% anonymous.

Make sure to read everything through before starting. The only details I need from you are your ratings.

I'll post up my report once I'm finished if anyone is interested. It is for a college psychology coursework project. This study is about attractiveness. I'll give further details afterwards.

By giving me your answers you are agreeing to let me use them in my research.

Guys: click on pic named guys

Girls: click on pic named girls

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

rate them for what? most researchers indicate that's it's subjects should be free to withdraw their results at any time. and they also indicate the purpose of their study and what it's intended for and where they're coming from. that's compulsory to do if it passes the ethics board at least for health science in TCD, and especially if your an undergrad. and im sure there's things iv forgotten too.

you also may not be able to deduct much from your results as who are you generalizing about in your discussion about your results? eg not all 18-22 year olds read boards. is it specific to the whole population of 18-22 year olds? would Irish people have different answers to american people? are you not going to ask some demographic questions as to your sample as it will be hard to make any hypothesis, also what about backrounds of the people answering and how are you going to protect against bias, and people who aren't 18-22 responding. im sure there's a whole other bunch of issues iv fogotten to mention but really i think your making life difficult for yourself if you want structurally sound results . i don;t really know if a convience sample on boards is your best bet, have you checked out other avenues for finding subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I'm not in university, I'm in a real rush to get this finished too. It's for a coursework project for my A2 grade and I've been an idiot and left it until the last minute. I said that it was for this purpose in the original post.

It's not 100% ethical to withhold information but most researchers do it anyway and get around this by debriefing afterwards which I have promised to do. If people know my hypothesis they may try guess it and that could mess up results. It doesn't matter if all participants are from one source as I can use this to criticise my study afterwards.

This is opportunity sampling so things like background etc. will not be taken into account, and once again is another issue I can bring up in my discussion when writing my report.

well you were'nt exactly very specific with anything. i study stats and research in college(last 2 years now) so i know a thing or two about what make a sound experiment (im doing a simliar project at the moment). and in fairness you did edit your original post.

okay well just thought id run those points past you (and i am only trying to help you :)). to be honest though backround has a huge bearing on results otherwise they may aswell be meaningless if they're is only one control on the population (eg age in this case).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I know. Thanks for reminding me of all that. I have my original standardised instructions on my college account so unfortunately had to write what I could remember. Basically our results aren't very important in this, only our write up is.

the more of that kind of stuff you point out the more marks you'll get as whoevers marking your questionnaire will want to know what you could do in the future to get more "perfect results". even systemic reviews and randomised controlled trials (the highest forms of evidence) are subject to critical review.

the thing about it is in most student research the sample sizes are so small it nearly impossible to deduct anything from the results so in some ways it is pointless as basis for further research however they are good practice for creating more structurely sound results in the future (when you do have time and money(. in the hope that the results can be used and applied). even something like wording and language use can all influence results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Why don't you put them on a site like hotornot.com?

Then again you may not get just 18-22 year olds voting...

Advertisement