Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

corsa head gasket

Options
  • 18-01-2006 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

hey lads

what would be the ballpark cost of replacing the head gasket on a 97 1.2 opel corsa?? It hasn't gone yet, but i've been told its not looking the healthyest..

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

hi, i was quoted 150e for a new head gasket that includes fitting it in, on my 99 rover 200. if thats any help. head gasket can be anything up to 100e afaik. depends on the car really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Misticles wrote:
    hi, i was quoted 150-200e for a new head gasket on my 99 rover 200. if thats any help.

Where was that?
    Was that just the head gasket, or did it include waterpump,timing belt, new bolts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Misticles wrote:
    hi, i was quoted 150e for a new head gasket that includes fitting it in, on my 99 rover 200. if thats any help. head gasket can be anything up to 100e afaik. depends on the car really.

had it blown on you....did you have to get the head skimmed....sounds steep??? or maybe rover parts are becoming collectors items allready...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

ye, i had to get it skimmed. not really steep, rover were looking 400pounds sterling!!

Misticles wrote:
    head gasket can be anything up to 100e afaik. depends on the car really.

A genuine MGR K-Series head gasket can be gotten for about 20euro including delivery on eBay. A whole gasket set (exhaust manifold, inlet manifold, head gasket etc) can be gotten for about 50 euro.

Who evger quoted you 100euro was taking you for a ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Head gaskets are quite cheap. It's the labour of fitting it that costs the money.
    Depending on the car can depend on the labour. Friend of mine had one fitted recently in a Volvo which cost about €700

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

what would be the ballpark cost of replacing the head gasket on a 97 1.2 opel corsa?? It hasn't gone yet, but i've been told its not looking the healthyest..

..........Corsa's are easy peeezy ! I reckon about €40 for parts and about 2 hours labour. The thing is that you may want to consider changing the timing belt and water pump aswell. Check the main dealer prices also .......I have found them to be cheaper than the motorfactors for certain items !

Why exactly is it not looking the healthiest ? If there is no oil in the water and vice versa and the car is driving well then leave it alone. A lot of these OHC Opel engines weep oil from the head gasket but that doesn't mean it should be replaced. They can go on for years like that and a new gasket can weep within months. unless you can visibly see oil leaking or you are topping up regularly then I'd just apply some degreaser and power wash the area, covering the distributor with a plastic bag and some elastic bands first !

Rovers are a different story..........if you've just replaced the head gasket then you are simply on a countdown to the next time. I know one guy with an MGF who's done it 3 time in the last 2 years. Even the replacement "modified" gasket kist are sh1te !

MercMad wrote:
    Why exactly is it not looking the healthiest ?

thanks for the reply merk.....its the gf's car...i'm selling it.....she knows!!.:D ....i had someone out to look at it and they brought a mechanic with them.....the mechanic scooted off before i could talk to him directly....so i got his story second hand from the woman lookin to buy it...:rolleyes: ...she said he rekoned the HG was going and needed to be replaced....he told her if that was going, then other parts probobly needed replacing to.....she balked and i lost the sale :mad:

haven't had a chance to look at it properly yet...allways dark when i get home...might just drop it out to me own mechanic when i get a chance....i know i'd get a straight answer from him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Sounds like BS to me...............

A head gasket cant be "going". It's either gone or not !

It can weep as I said but your mechanic will tell you its nothing to worry about !

MercMad wrote:
    Rovers are a different story..........if you've just replaced the head gasket then you are simply on a countdown to the next time. I know one guy with an MGF who's done it 3 time in the last 2 years. Even the replacement "modified" gasket kist are sh1te !

The 'modified' gaskets are cr4p. Way worse than the OE ones. See the pictures below:

attachment.php?attachmentid=15758

See the one on the left, thats the 'modified' aftermarket one, way cr4ppier than the OE one on the right. The problem with Rover HeadGasket failure is finding what caused the problem in the first place. Generally its a loss of coolant or a failed water pump, causing the engine to overheat. The reason Rover have a bad rep for HG Failure is because there is a very small coolant capacity

</offtopic> :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

MercMad wrote:
    ..........Corsa's are easy peeezy ! I reckon about €40 for parts and about 2 hours labour. The thing is that you may want to consider changing the timing belt and water pump aswell. Check the main dealer prices also .......I have found them to be cheaper than the motorfactors for certain items !

Why exactly is it not looking the healthiest ? If there is no oil in the water and vice versa and the car is driving well then leave it alone. A lot of these OHC Opel engines weep oil from the head gasket but that doesn't mean it should be replaced. They can go on for years like that and a new gasket can weep within months. unless you can visibly see oil leaking or you are topping up regularly then I'd just apply some degreaser and power wash the area, covering the distributor with a plastic bag and some elastic bands first !

I'd agree with you on the opel OHC oil weeping thing. Had a corsa 1.2 ohc hot rod for ages (about 2 years) when i got it there was oil weeping from the top of the "cam cover" and a bit from the actual join between head and block. I just left it and it was grand, raced it approx 12 times and used it for feckin around in the back field for a laugh/ practice and my cousin learned to drive in it. I never took the head off or changed gaskets and it was fine for 2 years with the slow oil weeping.
    Also about 10 years ago i'd a cavalier field car with a 2.0litre ohc which i seem tpo remember weeped oil from the head and was ok for 2months until the gearbox went..

Con_316 wrote:
    I'd agree with you on the opel OHC oil weeping thing. Had a corsa 1.2 ohc hot rod for ages (about 2 years) when i got it there was oil weeping from the top of the "cam cover" and a bit from the actual join between head and block. I just left it and it was grand, raced it approx 12 times and used it for feckin around in the back field for a laugh/ practice and my cousin learned to drive in it. I never took the head off or changed gaskets and it was fine for 2 years with the slow oil weeping.
    Also about 10 years ago i'd a cavalier field car with a 2.0litre ohc which i seem tpo remember weeped oil from the head and was ok for 2months until the gearbox went..

Sorry for once again goign off topic, ive seen this in a few cars before. Oil leaking from teh cam cover. It's not really a problem, just makes the engine bay look messy! Just check your oil levels once a week. What could look like a disasterous leak maybe only actually leaking 10-15ml a week

sound for all the replies boys and girls..;) ...must go out and scrub that engine!!

Advertisement