Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birch Plywood or Veneered MDF

Options
  • 18-01-2006 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to build a new desk and shelving for a spare bedroom/study. I have build a good few things, reasonably complicated with MDF, painted afterward. Now I'm planning to use something with a natural wood finish and varnish it. I loke the idea of making the desk from birch plywood with the edges exposed and varnished. I like the laminated edge look that you sometimes see on office furniture, and the prospect of not having to glue or iron on edging on the MDF appeals to me.

I have never worked with plywood before and realy would kile to know if it is as easy or easier to work with as MDF. I do not intend any fancy roution, except maybe routing grooves to make drawer frames. Is it easy to route? Will my edging idea work out in prtactice?

Thanks,

Ro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

If you're using veneered plywood I'd say it should be no more difficult than veneeed MDF, you'll just have to watch out for chipping out when cross cutting as you'll probably be using a circular saw... also plywood can suffer from voids at the edges but it's not too bad.

Exposed plywood edges can look great as you say, just varnished up... the furniture below was made by a non professional that exact way...

click pictures for larger pictures...

Moderator - links removed - see pictures below.

Cheers
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ro-76

Hi

If you're using veneered plywood I'd say it should be no more difficult than veneeed MDF, you'll just have to watch out for chipping out when cross cutting as you'll probably be using a circular saw... also plywood can suffer from voids at the edges but it's not too bad.

Exposed plywood edges can look great as you say, just varnished up... the furniture below was made by a non professional that exact way...

Mod - as above

Cheers
    Joe
    Thanks for the great advice. I had thought about the chipping issue, and what I'll probably do is get the more important bits cut on a table saw to size when I buy the wood, and just cut the less visable bits myself, like the drawer carcases etc.

Thanks

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

tn_china-cabinet.jpg

tn_china-cabinet-edge-detail.jpg

I moved these links from earlier posts...

Advertisement