Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Happy I failed the NCT

Options
  • 18-01-2006 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Well... obviosly I'd be happier if I passed. But anyway, some of you may know that I traded my 96 micra for a 91 Fiesta to get some cash for other things I needed. The fiesta was basically not used since it last passed the NCT March 2004. I got it in about October and the plan was, since it's old, to get it tested the minute I'm able (3 months before the due date) so I got it tested today and it failed. It only failed on a cracked wing mirror though. It's only slightly cracked, the whole mirror is still there and the view isn't distorted at all. But rules are rules and they failed me. It's a free re-test (for 30 days) and all they have to check is the mirror so it doesn't have to resit the whole test. The mirror should hopefully only cost about €20 or so.

Any ideas where I would find a cheap replacement mirror?

Irish Rover, if you're reading, damn you for breaking that mirror, it probably would have passed if it wasn't cracked! haha.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Any decent auto factors will sell you a stick-on replacement mirror for under a tenner - clean the old miror well and stick the new one in place over it, Bobs your uncle, Fanny's your aunt and the NCT man will give you a gold star for keeping one of Henry Fords little babies in tip-top condition. Ah pushrod engines - you don't get many of them for the pound.

'c

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you mean just the glass is cracked, halfords or any motor factors should have them, I think they're usually around the €10 mark. If you mean the actual unit, they're a lot more expensive, I got quoted €80 for one from a scrap yard before.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

yeah it's just the glass that's cracked. Thanks for the suggestions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I think you should be able to get a sheet of mirror with a self adhesive back and it just sticks on over the mirror. My friend did it on his car, looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You can get the proper replacement glass on plastic backing, it's got a little ball joint in the centre with two links for adjustment for little more than you'd pay for the stick on glass stuff. It's very easy to fit.

• Advertisement

Thanks:) so would any motor store stock these then or would I need to go to a ford dealer? 91 Fiesta by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Well I know for my old Nissan when some muppet passed me and knocked the mirror out. Just clipped the mirror so it just dropped out. F**ker kept going thou, I dropped in Nissan garage and they put in new glass for 20 quid. I would say Ford dealer would be the same

Cause its a Fiesta and if you want to save that precise money go to a scrap yard and I would guess they will have plenty of Fiesta's. Prob get one for a quid or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

Cormie, there is a guy who replaces the glass quite cheaply in Bray. His main business is mirrors & Glass but he does mirrors for cars as well. He's just off the main street down the lane beside the chipper opposite the royal hotel. PM me if you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

cormie wrote:
    Thanks:) so would any motor store stock these then or would I need to go to a ford dealer? 91 Fiesta by the way!

I used a ford dealer back in the days. Just make sure to tell them you don't need the whole mirror unit.

skibum wrote:
    Cormie, there is a guy who replaces the glass quite cheaply in Bray. His main business is mirrors & Glass but he does mirrors for cars as well. He's just off the main street down the lane beside the chipper opposite the royal hotel. PM me if you want more info.

Fahy Glazing? He lives 4 doors away from me:D

If a stick on thingy will do I'll take that option, I can always take it back off, strapped for cash at the moment so the cheapest way to get the cert will do;)

Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead

any junk yard breakers yards or a ford dealership

Went to a motor shop in Bray and they said they would have to order the glass in, I wanted to get this sorted asap so I went to the scrap yard in Dun Laoghaire and got an old fiesta mirror for €10, swapped the glasses, went to the test centre and got my cert:D Thanks for the help everyone!

Advertisement