Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell multi-purchase

Options
  • 18-01-2006 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as my HP Pavillion is a piece of crap (I'm not bitter), I am in the market for a new laptop, as is someone else I know.

Question is - if I ring up Dell, will they do anything for me considering I am buying more than one? (e.g. throw in an extra battery, or something) The other person is actually running a business and has purchased from Dell before, so I am thinking of taking the angle that this is the start of something, more orders on the way, blah, blah, blah.

Any point? Or would I just be better off ordering on the web?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

tom dunne wrote:
    Seeing as my HP Pavillion is a piece of crap (I'm not bitter), I am in the market for a new laptop, as is someone else I know.

Question is - if I ring up Dell, will they do anything for me considering I am buying more than one? (e.g. throw in an extra battery, or something) The other person is actually running a business and has purchased from Dell before, so I am thinking of taking the angle that this is the start of something, more orders on the way, blah, blah, blah.

Any point? Or would I just be better off ordering on the web?

Yes, my friend got a €400 discount (2x200) when he bought 2 XPS laptops. Just make sure you get the first guy down as far as he'll go, as anyone who picks up a later call wont be allowed give you anything better...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

All depends on spec - if you're buying a couple of XPS systems you'll certainly get a discount - as these are high margin systems - but if you're looking at the lower end of the spectrum, then you won't have a chance unless you're upping the spec.

A lot of the low end systems actually have a negative margin for the reps, so if, for example their margin target for the day is €1,000 and you order a system from them at -100 margin, their target for the day has now gone up to 1,100 - they're not going to thank you for ordering two!

You've also got a better chance if you're buying Latitudes rather than Inspirons.

Spec them up on the web and then ring the sales line - you can't negotiate with the internet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Check their prices on Dell.co.uk and other value added resellers like overclockers.co.uk.. Great bargaining chip.. Start the call by saying you want to buy a number of machines and make yourself out to be a litte dumb.. Get them to make you a decent offer and then say that you want to just order 2 now and will come back to him in a few days to order the rest once you are happy with what you got.. Worked for me.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

In the past I've always asked for the dell gals/guys extention no and enquiry reference no and phoned back a day or two later and spoke to the same person (if he/she is off you can leave a message on their system for them to call you back) .... staying with the same peep certainly helps negotiating .... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

do dell computer perform as well as other machines ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

do dell computer perform as well as other machines ??

I think chip for chip they do .... I've had a P3 for the last 6 years .... when I bought it it was top(ish) in the range and has served me well .... it's still ready to fire up if it's ever needed ....

I'm told Dell is not the ideal machine if your going to swap and change hardware all the time .... my own strategy in this respect is buy the best spec you can afford and stick with it .... when your performance is too far behind the pack, get a new one .... at the 5 year stage I bought a new P4 Dell that ended up costing a third of the earlier m/c and probably 5 times more power .....

Advertisement