Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Condensation in front lights?

Options
  • 18-01-2006 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Just noticed the other day condensation inside the front plastic of my front lights.Is this normal?It doesnt look like there is a crack or anything

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

While it may look like there is no crack or leak, there is, somewhere.

You could remove the light, dry it out with low heat and apply a sealant or glue along the seam. Cure that at a low heat and proceed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Thanks A Murphy.I had the same problem in another car but it seemed to fade away.Its not all over the interior of the plastic.Its just confined to a corner.Do u still think there's a crack somewhere?

Can anybody offer any further reasons or help please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

have you checked around the seal, where the front lens joins the main headlight unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

this is a common problem on cars with plastic lenses. the worst culprit seeming to be 00 model Puntos. it's usually down to a faulty seal.

• Advertisement

Will take a look at the seal at the weekend so.The car is only 2 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is it a Toyota Avensis by any chance?

This happened to the passenger side front light on my car over a year ago and it was a design fault with the inside of headlight unit. Somehow a small amount of water leaked in from somewhere causing the lense to fog up.

If it is then bring it back to a Toyota dealer as this should still be replaced under the original Toyota warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

Has the bulb been changed at all as if the backing rubber is not put back right that can cause it.:)

Old style H3/H4 bulbs do not include a seal of any kind in the bulb design. They may have a some sort of a rear splash guard. Insure it in place.
    H4
    Just a metal to metal contact, otherwise leaky as a sieve.

btw, if you believe these are HID, you'll believe anything.

Newer "9000" series have a "O" ring seal imcorporated and are much better in the moisture sealing dept.
    Which type of bulb to you have and does it have any missing or broken rear grommets or splash guards.
    I have found even newer cars still use these H3/H4 styles. No idea why... given there are better options.

Not sure that the "9000" series are called in EU, as you should see in this example, The "O" ring is the pink item.

The car is an audi a4.I've no idea what bulbs are used in the front lights.The user maual says to bring it to a main dealer to change a bleedin bulb!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead

or just strip it down [ the front light ] and flame polish it or do the water test

Moanin wrote:
    The car is an audi a4.I've no idea what bulbs are used in the front lights.The user maual says to bring it to a main dealer to change a bleedin bulb!

Used to be the Users Manual would list out all the bulbs required and where, and how to change them.
    Well to save yourself some money, it might be worthwhile to find out and note the types in your UM for future reference.
    Warranty still valid for this car?, if so, use it.

Still covered under warranty so back to the dealer she's going....

Advertisement