Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed On Wireless Laptop

Options
  • 18-01-2006 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I will be getting a dell 8100 inspirion laptop (pentium3 about 800 mhz)
    the laptop is costing me nothing and I have a netopia pcimca wireless card and was wondering what wireless router I should get to make this set up work - The reason I ask is because I am concerned that the speeds wont be up to scratch with the older machine - I have 1mg broadband and a non wireless router on a more modern pc at the moment.
    It will just be used for surfing in the living room etc - nothing too heavy
    - thanks in advanced.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You can get any G or Pre-n router they will work at full speed on the internet no probs I have an old Latitude with a 866mhz and a G PCMCIA card...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well the speed will depend more so on the wireless laptop card, than on the router.

most of todays router are rated at 54mbps (mega bits) but in practice they only do about 80% of that. but since there's no company in ireland doing near 30 mbit speeds (at a reasonable price) you should get full speed on your 1mbit line

get a router from a repituable name linksys, netgear spring to mind.

may i suggest the linksys WAG54g (it's the one i have) it's a router and adsl modem in one so you can throw away - not literally - your old router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭WILKEL

Thanks for the info guys - just what I was looking for.

Advertisement