Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a support band?

Options
  • 17-01-2006 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

We are a 5-piece rock/pop covers band based in Dublin.

Starting to gig now around Dublin. have played Annesley house and have two more gigs lined up, one in MBSlatterys and the other in Dalymount Park pub. We are 2 girls and 3 boys and do a good range of songs.

have a listen to us here , although songs only recorded on laptop unitl we get better recordings!!

http://artists.cpu.ie//bands/1066/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

those recordings do you no justice, pity cos I'd say you sound decent live :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

yeah i know thats the only thing unfortuantly that we dont have better recording yet, but need to put them up even if it just gives people an idea of what stuff we do as no point advertising ourselves adn have nothing to show for it. But we definitly are better live i guarantee it!!

why are you looking for support gigs?

well just support at the minute as we are working on a full set to headline but we already have a 45min set to do support slots as we have done that already. So would like some more support slots while we are getting bigger set list together as the practice and experience will be good for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

yeah, the sound is a bit ****ty.
    i've mailed the link for this page to a friend. he might have something for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

It sounded interesting until I found out ye were a cover band. ugh. Ye'd want to look at the start of Rock n Roll... think your drummer's missing some of the wee nuances that make the song what it is. Although the sound doesn't do you justice, but a 45 minute set of covers is nothing to get worked up over. My advice is start writing your own music, ye all seem pretty capable at what ye do.

*edit*
    Damn.. Are You Gonna Go My Way sounds painful. Ouch. Stop murdering that song.

well we know we still need to perfect those songs too and we know the solo especially for Are you gonna go my way needs work.......So we are getting better all the time, those recordings were made a good while ago, before our first gig!

It sounded interesting until I found out ye were a cover band. ugh.

:rolleyes:
    And exactly how are you contributing to the thread with a comment like that?

Sap :mad:

Savman wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    And exactly how are you contributing to the thread with a comment like that?

Sap :mad:

I'm giving my opinion on the band and on the music. The fact that they are a cover band effects whether or not someone would want to give them a support slot.

Nice personal attack... I know someone who got banned for less.

"Sap".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

well, first of all, take down Are You Gonna Go My Way, because that would be the deciding factor in whether or not i were to give you a gig. To be honest it's not all that bad, it actually sounds like the guitarist doesn't know the solo in the first place, and is just trying to guess it...

All in all, i would tell you to maybe look around for a new drummer, or tell the current drummer to get lessons, because he should not be playing 'Rock N Roll' because that version would sound better with a electronic Drum machine.

Be sure to tune the guitars before playing aswell:)

Also, i see there being no benefit in being in a covers band unless it's to earn a living, and i don't see you guys earning a living from these tracks. Why don't you just write your own songs? All you'd need is about 5 for a support slot, and then play a couple of your covers to make up the time.. that's not soo bad is it?

edit: by the by, the singer has a very promising voice:)

• Advertisement

we are in a covers band becasue we enjoy it, we are not out to earn a living out of it and there are plenty of people who would prefer to hear songs they recognise than ones no ones knows. Maybe further down the line we will start writing our own songs but not yet. As i said before the version of those songs were recorded a good while ago and have improved since, they are jusy there now to give people an idea of the type or genre we cover until we get some better recordings.

I agree on the drummer comment above. I didn't want to say it because I'm not a drummer so I can't get technical on the situation, but yeah, the drums sound far too repetitive and a bit off. But maybe he/she has improved as those were old recordings.
    I can totally understand playing for the fun of it, sure thats why we all do it, but generally cover bands play to make money. If you're not about making money then write your own songs and get a kick out of being up on stage with your own material. Trust me, you'll get a much bigger kick out of people enjoying your music then going along with some Lenny Kravitz they've heard better on their stereo.

Bitsie wrote:
    we are in a covers band becasue we enjoy it, we are not out to earn a living out of it

They say he who works for free will never be short of work :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cj48

frankie and lundi have a point imo is everyone in your band happy doing covers cos once u have played 1 gig of covers u have done it all unless u are playing really good songs or are just **** tight

your own songs are easier to get together and are way more enjoyable to play

i don't see too many people disagreeing with that...

do originals cos there are some nice tones in there to make my ears stand up and listen!!!!

too many bands restricting themselves to the safe option

vertigo is a song most cover bands seem to be doin maybe because its so simple but rock n roll needs to be spot on cos everyone knows it...guitarist seems to have somethin there and the singer is brilliant but the back line isn't great at all.thats meant as constructive critisism rather than snobber or anything..

look into originals after u get the imediate stuff out of the way (gigs comin up etc) cos i'm sure there is talent being wasted on normal plain bland overplayed songs

get that girl using her voice in her own style and get them guitarist rippin out solos and yis could have somethin there bitsie :D

there is a space in the dublin scene for a funky sexy female lead singer with a hard band behind here making more than just indie or metal ****e.listen to the burma shade and you'll see where your potential could be also listen any jamming or sound checks in rehearsals

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

cj48 wrote:
    listen to the burma shade and you'll see where your potential could be

Thanks for the plug:D

Go here to find out more

http://www.myspace.com/burmashade

Ooooh Shameless.......

Advertisement