Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inside track...

Options
  • 17-01-2006 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭

I finished my M.Eng in August, looking for a lecturing / assistant lecturing job.
    When I started the Masters, there seemed to be plenty of jobs for engineering lecturers, thats largely why I did it.

Now theres very little going.

Practically all the ITs and universities have an 'internal applicants only' link on their vacancies site.

So here's the questions - what proportion of lecturing jobs are filled internally ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I don't have any insight into the recruitment process of the IT's, except as an applicant. I can tell you that out of 5-6 jobs that I applied for, I only got one interview.

I get the impression they have to advertise them externally, but a certain percentage already have an "applicant" earmarked for the job. I suppose, in fairness to the colleges, there are a lot of staff either pro-rata or part-time. Management know these people and know what they are capable of, therefore if they are hiring, it probably does make sense to hire someone that already works in a limited capacity for the institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

you can't advertise something for internal only in the public sector. It has to be advertised at least in the national press. Although, it is entirely possible as tom said that internal candidates have been earmarked for the position. Hopefully, the external examiners on the interview board will stop this bias if they have any spine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

it is entirely possible as tom said that internal candidates have been earmarked for the position. Hopefully, the external examiners on the interview board will stop this bias if they have any spine...

If you look at the vacancies pages, there are apparently jobs going that you can only look at if you work there already.
    e.g.
    http://www.dcu.ie/vacancies/index.shtml
    http://personnel.nuim.ie/vacancies.shtml

I'm not objecting to the practise, if you have several people on staff that you know would be ideal for a post then it makes sense to advertise internally first, see if any of them wants it.

I'm just wondering whats behind the 'internal vacancies' links.

Advertisement