Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Open Insurance' question

Options
  • 17-01-2006 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Am i correct in saying that he term open insurance means if you have your own insurance policy you would be insured to drive other peoples cars if you want/need to?

Just wondering if this is standard with all insurance policys or do you have to pay extra etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Usually when you have your own policy you can drive other cars. Doesn't open insurance mean anyone can drive your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Open Drive is usually an optional part of a policy, that allows other people to drive your vehicle with third party insurance, under your policy. There are usually restrictions, e.g. the person must have a full licence, be over 25 and have their own insurance on another vehicle.

With most fully comprehenive policies, you are allowed to drive any other car, provided that; You are licenced to drive the vehicle (i.e. you don't have an auto-only licence), and the vehicle doesn't belong to you, your spouse or your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

seamus wrote:
    With most fully comprehenive policies, you are allowed to drive any other car, provided that; You are licenced to drive the vehicle (i.e. you don't have an auto-only licence), and the vehicle doesn't belong to you, your spouse or your employer.

Really? I didn't know about the partner bit - will have to check that out ASAP.

The car also can't be a rental car, or owned by a garage I think. It must be insured too, e.g. you can't buy a fiesta and use that insurance to drive an uninsured sports car.

Also, you will generally only have 3rd party cover on the other car you are driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, as I've said before, when you get married your assets are pooled. Therefore, attempting to drive your spouse's car under your policy, you're trying to drive a car that effectively belongs to you, under an insurance policy for a different vehicle. No-no :)

I'd advise everyone to thoroughly read their policy booklet cover-to-cover, and make sure you're 100% on what you can and cannot do before getting behind the wheel of another car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

seamus wrote:
    Yeah, as I've said before, when you get married your assets are pooled. Therefore, attempting to drive your spouse's car under your policy, you're trying to drive a car that effectively belongs to you, under an insurance policy for a different vehicle. No-no :)

Ah - my mistake, I read "spouse" as partner, not wife. Haven't gone down that path yet, so can breath easy!
    seamus wrote:
    I'd advise everyone to thoroughly read their policy booklet cover-to-cover, and make sure you're 100% on what you can and cannot do before getting behind the wheel of another car.

Can't go wrong with that advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

Axa give comprehensive on their other cars policy. My policy mentions nothing about my spouse or partner where my wife's policy does. So always worth reading your policy.

Seamus, I'd be interested to know what you make of that. Presumably if they consider your wife's or partner's car to be a pooled asset, they would spell it out on the policy as my wife's policy does. Mine does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Are you are entirely correct there Seamus?

I am insured to drive my wife's car (fully comp. basis) and any other vehicle with the permission of the owner (3rd party basis).

My wife is insured to drive my car (fully comp) on my insurance and 3rd party on her own insurance and she is covered to drive any other vehicle on a 3rd party basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Are you are entirely correct there Seamus?

I am insured to drive my wife's car (fully comp. basis) and any other vehicle with the permission of the owner (3rd party basis).

My wife is insured to drive my car (fully comp) on my insurance and 3rd party on her own insurance and she is covered to drive any other vehicle on a 3rd party basis.

Advertisement