Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony FX301 old laptop or buy new?

Options
  • 16-01-2006 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to see what I'm going to do about getting a laptop for Uni' next year, and I'm debating between keeping my Sony FX301 and upgrading (800Mhz, 128MB ram, 40GB HD, windows XP - about four years old) or should I just spend the grand it'll cost me on a decent Dell?
    The main problem with this laptop is the battery has run down, and now only lasts 15 minutes! Any way of fixing the battery, or is it just ****ed? It's around 1700Mha, supplied with it.
    What I'm planning on doing is buying another 128mb memory stick for it (bringing the memory up to the max' it can have, 256mb) and also buying a 4,000mha battery from ebay. The total cost of the above upgrades will be about €50.
    My only doubt is the future reliability of this laptop. I know that it will be plenty for typing up lecture notes, perhaps even slideshow stuff (using OpenOffice). Another issue is battery life - when I buy the 4000mha battery from eBay will I get ~2hours from this battery alone? 1 even? I know it is dual battery capable, if needed I could add two 4700mha batteries.

What I use my home PC for is generally quite heavy image editing (into photography), web design and music/videos, no games really - so the idea will be to compliment this laptop with a desktop in my college dorms/accom. and transfer all data onto the desktop each evening, set up a basic sync type thing - I don't like doing heavy work on a laptop.

So - what would be the batterylife on the new battery, and do I keep the Vaio or start looking towards a new dell laptop? Inspiration please. Pun unintended. Ahem...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Battery life is relative ... to the machine spec. & activity.

I'd hate to use Photoshop on an 800MHz Duron, with 256mb RAM.. :o
    I also wouldn't expect to get too much more out of the unit (Lifetime) -something is bound to fail.

On the other hand, you shouldn't mind too much if it gets lost or stolen (Provided you keep regular backups) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Nah, the desktop would be for PS work - certainly not on the laptop, far too pokey! At the moment the screen has two verticle lines, but everything else is ok. I can't see it being used for anything other than internet, email and word.
    Any ideas on battery life, and should I keep it - worth the €50-€80 investment to get it up to scratch?
    (Lost/stolen - indeed! Also, backups would be every day, I'd only be using it as a middle man so to speak, everything would go onto the desktop every evening, which is 2.8ghz 180GB 1gb ram etc etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I really couldn't say re: battery life.

If that's the only intended use - I'd,personally,buy the battery(-ies) & RAM.

Advertisement