Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handytone-486 noise issue

Options
  • 16-01-2006 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just signed up with Blueface and I purchased the Grandstream Handytone 486 ATA seperately. I'm having trouble with the ATA though, there is fairly bad noise on the line when I pick up the handset. I know its not a Blueface issue as I've removed the network cables and it was still there. I've also tried the ATA with 2 other phones and I got the same problem...

I've noticed some odd things with it though. The noise isn't so bad when I first pick up the handset, but after about 5 seconds it quickly increases in volume. Also, for some reason, if I cover the 2 ethernet ports on the ATA the noise receeds a bit...(I told you it was odd). I have tried plugging the power supply into a number of different sockets.

The unit itself is rated as +5v and 1.2A, I notice the power supply is rated as 5.0V and 1.5A. Could this be the issue? I did try using a multi-voltage adapter I have at 4.5V and 1250mA (close enough I thought) but still no luck?

Any help on this one would be really appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

rayc wrote:
    I've just signed up with Blueface and I purchased the Grandstream Handytone 486 ATA seperately. I'm having trouble with the ATA though, there is fairly bad noise on the line when I pick up the handset. I know its not a Blueface issue as I've removed the network cables and it was still there. I've also tried the ATA with 2 other phones and I got the same problem...

What firmware version do you have on the unit? You can see the firmware version on the <Status> page. The PSU that you have definitely sounds like the correct one.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Hi, its version 1.0.6.7. I think thats the latest one........

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

any chance you have access to a ups or mains filter at home or at work, sounds like mains noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

rayc wrote:
    Hi, its version 1.0.6.7. I think thats the latest one........

1.0.6.7 is the latest one that Grandstream officially supply from their site but there have been 2 more releases since 1.0.6.7 : 1.0.7.11 & 1.0.8.10 (released yesterday). These can be got automatically from http://gs-firmware.gratissip.dk or 195.140.132.34 in your Advanced Settings TFTP field. I don't think yours is a firmware issue though by the sound of it.

Grandstream also keep all their latest firmwares and release notes at :

http://www.grandstream.com/BETATEST/

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Thanks for the help lads. I haven't been able to lay my hands on a ups or a mains filter yet (unless I want to try fit a washing machine one). I have it plugged into a surge protector which may have made a (very) slight improvement. I'll keep on pluggin away anyway. thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement