Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oi KADMAN

Options
  • 16-01-2006 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

so, what's beech worth?

I know a guy who's felling around six, big, old beech trees, gonna chop em up for firewood.

what sort of money would it be to convert a tree into planks, lets say, straight, 40 feet tall, suppose four feet at the bottom.

you, or anyone else interested?

the timber is in tipperary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭O-Ninio

The problem with this is that saw mills don't want to chop up other peoples wood for them they claim they don't want their machinery damaged, they are however usually willing to take the trees off your hands which does not make sense but thats what I have usually found.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Wouldn't mind turning a 40ft lamp base:D

Would these be worth a trip to tipp for?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

JohnBoy wrote:
    so, what's beech worth?

I know a guy who's felling around six, big, old beech trees, gonna chop em up for firewood.

what sort of money would it be to convert a tree into planks, lets say, straight, 40 feet tall, suppose four feet at the bottom.

you, or anyone else interested?

the timber is in tipperary

Well what beech trees are they, any copper beech.

Are they straight for 40ft, and then branch out. Or are they hollow in the middle, as often happens. There are bound to be mobile bandmills in your area, that will give a price for planking them in the wood. Maybe they will do a deal on planking them for some of the timber.

4 ft bole at the base of the tree is fairly large. Any saw mill will cut the timber for you, although they may be reluctant to cut the bottom 6 ft, as fencing or nails are more likely to be in the base.

Lisnavagh Timber project will give you some idea of cost per cubic foot of beech , air dried and kiln dried.

Definitely more valuable for furniture ect, than smoke up the chimmney.

kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

type of beech I don't know......

One is straight, beautiful tree (gonna go back this weekend and see if he'd give it to me) most of em are branched low down like you say though.

If I do this, and I'm keen to. should I get the timber planked green or do I leave it to dry for a year or two in the round?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

get it planked as soon as you can.

It will be easier to plank anyhow.

If you leave it in the round you will get both spliting and spalting (which isn't a bad thing)

I def know there is a mobile planking unit around -I have an advert for it at home
    will try post it later.

karl.

• Advertisement
Advertisement