Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Pride

Options
  • 16-01-2006 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if this is going on in Waterford this year?

I know a guy who is going as Audrey Hepburn if it is! But he's not sure if it's on or not yet, so anyone else heard anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I didn't think such a thing happened in waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

Yep, every year theres a big parade through Ballybeg.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Demetrius wrote:

ROFL

Ballybeg? LOL.

Get your helmets and body armour gear ready so!

Sully04 wrote:
    ROFL

Ballybeg? LOL.

Get your helmets and body armour gear ready so!
    Theres one right after too going through Lismore park.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dunno much about Lismore Park, but I know Ballybeg can be a fairly rough place!

• Advertisement

Yep, this particular parade also passes down the Garvaghy rd, the Bullring, Tralee and Gort. "Suicide Campers" its called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Demetrius wrote:
    Typical , knock Ballybeg again , people in private estates are just as homophobic if you ask me , would you like a load of poofs walking down your road .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

meldrew wrote:
    Typical , knock Ballybeg again , people in private estates are just as homophobic if you ask me , would you like a load of poofs walking down your road .

Yes it's true, you get bigots from all walks of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Gadgie wrote:
    Yes it's true, you get bigots from all walks of life.

Why call people who don't agree with homosexuality bigots? It's just someone's opinion - to which they're entitled. And why have a 'Gay Pride' parade anyway? I don't see everyone else organising a heterosexual pride parade......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

It's called St. Patrick's Day.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    It's called St. Patrick's Day.

Have to give ya that one!:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Freddie59 wrote:
    Why call people who don't agree with homosexuality bigots?

Because they used the derogative term 'poofs'.

Also, some information on the gay pride parade: link

• Registered Users Posts: 39,501 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

There is a 'White Ball' every year in The Forum, Not sure when though

Gadgie wrote:
    Because they used the derogative term 'poofs'.

Also, some information on the gay pride parade: link

Why assume that? Not everyone does. To me a homosexual is just that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Freddie59 wrote:
    Why assume that? Not everyone does. To me a homosexual is just that.:)
    grow up, stop acting like a dope

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Freddie59 wrote:
    Why call people who don't agree with homosexuality bigots? It's just someone's opinion - to which they're entitled.

You say you "don't agree" with homosexuality - and that that isn't bigoted? Would you consider it all that much different from "not agreeing" with africans?

big·ot (bĭg'ət) pronunciation
    n.

One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Seems to fit.

Of course, you're entitled to be a bigot if you wish. Just so long as it doesn't adversely affect the lives of others.

What's wrong with someone being attracted to members of their own sex rather than the opposite? I think it's fine, granted I don't like the "sex" part of homosexuality, cuz it just seem slike that the human body is half a jig-saw and the other half is another human body of the opposite sex, but I love gay people, all the gay's I know are so nice and so fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Freddie59 wrote:
    Why call people who don't agree with homosexuality bigots? It's just someone's opinion - to which they're entitled

so someone who has a dislike for black people isnt racist, its just someone's opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Talaghn

Mossy Monk wrote:
    so someone who has a dislike for black people isnt racist, its just someone's opinion?

racist is usually used in the terms of not wanting anything to do with/ abusive to coloured people/ different race whereas Bigotry is used in a milder form. Where you dont mind them but you perfer your own! Well thats my taking of it anyway!

And as for being gay.... You cant help who you like its built into you and people just have to accept it! and its not like this is a new thing. It was just kept quiet by men and women for a gagillon years!:D

White ball was on recently i think!

• Advertisement

Mossy Monk wrote:

No. Different kettle of fish. I personally don't agree with homosexuality, but I have gay friends, and, hey - it's their business. Doesn't bother me once it doesn't impact on me.

Racism on the other hand would , IMO, be quite rare in Ireland. It is, however, on the increase due to the perceived, or real, positive discrimination in favour of certain minorities, which in turn impacts on members of our own society and it's cultural makeup.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭googie

Do you really think racism is rare in Ireland? I think Ireland is an extremely racist country. And most of it is based on uneducated opinions of pwople of other races. Irish people love to have a go at anyone who's any way different without knowing anything about them, or where they come from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

meldrew wrote:

"load of poofs"...jees ure nice aint ya? idiot

googie wrote:
    Do you really think racism is rare in Ireland? I think Ireland is an extremely racist country. And most of it is based on uneducated opinions of pwople of other races. Irish people love to have a go at anyone who's any way different without knowing anything about them, or where they come from

If you read my previous post I have pointed out that most recent 'racism' is caused by perceived, or real, positive discrimination in favour of new arrivals here vs our own native population, some of which seems to be getting left behind or ignored in many ways because of this.

I think the Irish are probably one of the most laid back races on the planet - but you will always get a few big mouths who do not represent the majority.....and these are what the media focuses on.

On the other hand when people raise legitimate queries about expenditure on 'asylum seekers' they are classed as racist. I think we're quite entitled to do this, especially when our government installs portakabins in schools while, apparently, at the same time squandering money on the 'asylum seeker' issue across several departments, with no concerted approach or plan on the issue.:)

peepsbates wrote:
    "load of poofs"...jees ure nice aint ya? idiot
    Oh no , not another pc bore , poofs was the least offensive name I could think of compared to what most people call gay people every day and it was'nt meant in a derogatory way , I suppose you're so pc you never called anybody anything in your life .

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

meldrew wrote:
    Oh no , not another pc bore , poofs was the least offensive name I could think of compared to what most people call gay people every day and it was'nt meant in a derogatory way , I suppose you're so pc you never called anybody anything in your life .

Well he called you an "idiot" so I guess he did....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Le Rack I think you may get a better answer on the LGB forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Aquos76 wrote:

good man!

Thaedydal wrote:
    Le Rack I think you may get a better answer on the LGB forum.
    thank you. I kinda left shaking my head thinking "What have I started..."

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote:
    HA HA :D

Advertisement