Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most annoying thing about Winter Golf

Options
  • 16-01-2006 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

What is it that puts people off playing winter golf and why?

What is it that annoys you most about winter golf 16 votes

The heavy rough
    0% 0 votes
    The low sun in the sky
    12% 2 votes
    The cold weather and bad conditions
    18% 3 votes
    The fact that it is dark at 4:30
    68% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

The low sun kills me sometimes... plus its usually really strong too makes it hard to ignore it!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mainly the rain and wind that annoys me. I dont mind the rough.

On some courses like links and Ashbourne during winter months you have to drop of fairway into the exit rough anyway. But sure rough shouldnt be a problem because of placing.

Sun doesnt annoy me cause I have two pairs of quality sunglasses, bought them of ebay for like a few euro check htem out they are good desptie what the price might indicate.

Because usually it is cold, you cant get cut, you dont mind the time frame because if your in comp its usualy a 12 hole comp in december or so.
    Its not a biggy

I usually tone down golf during the winter months, I keep my swing up just dont like playing in the horrible conditions like, especially when you cant get cut, its not really fun is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭okden

i wrap up, squint my eyes, and focus on ball stricking, .....but i cant play in the dark.:( bring on summer hours, 36 hole days :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Mainly the rain and wind that annoys me. I dont mind the rough.

On some courses like links and Ashbourne during winter months you have to drop of fairway into the exit rough anyway. But sure rough shouldnt be a problem because of placing.

Sun doesnt annoy me cause I have two pairs of quality sunglasses, bought them of ebay for like a few euro check htem out they are good desptie what the price might indicate.

Because usually it is cold, you cant get cut, you dont mind the time frame because if your in comp its usualy a 12 hole comp in december or so.
    Its not a biggy

I usually tone down golf during the winter months, I keep my swing up just dont like playing in the horrible conditions like, especially when you cant get cut, its not really fun is it?

surely even in winter you should not be placing in the rough?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Its gotta be the fact that there are no 18 hole competitions in the winter. 12 or 15 hole just aint the same and not being able to lower your handicap no matter how good your playing is a bit of a pain as well.

I feel that the other options - low sun, heavy rough & bad conditions - are an extra challenge for your game and makes playing well all the more satisfying (Admittedly they are a real pain if your playing bad though!). Also everybody that plays has to deal with them so you just have to get on with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I hate playing in rain any time of year. For some reason I just can't enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I love windy golf, its the cold that kills me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Don't mind the wind or the cold but hate the rain. Its also difficuly coming out of the winter season when you can't place anymore, believe me I need every advantage I can get:)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

okden wrote:
    i wrap up, squint my eyes, and focus on ball stricking, .....but i cant play in the dark.:( bring on summer hours, 36 hole days :D

I totally agree. Being able to play after a days work is a very good thing! Damn the short winter days! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i'm going with the sun, big problem for me with the glasses, tends to glare through the lens and blind me, if that makes sense.
    daveym, problem with a lot of courses is the drainage, you need to be able to place in the rough as the thing is plugged half and inch down sometimes, an then there's the rough on top of it.even after placing your still in the rough, so no harm no foul.

doc i usually use the winter months for pretty extensive training. 2/3 trips to the range and 2 games a week. (thats extensive for me)i find it's best to iron out all kinks and the winter and have your A game ready for spring. best way to insure you get cut is to be playing at your best when you can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Its got to be the way its dark at 4.30. I love playing 18 holes in the evening during the summer, but theres none of that in Winter. Means I cant play too much because i'm in college all day. Only on weekends:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

X-Calibre wrote:
    Its got to be the way its dark at 4.30. I love playing 18 holes in the evening during the summer, but theres none of that in Winter. Means I cant play too much because i'm in college all day. Only on weekends:(

I'll second that...when i worked as a greenkeeper, I used to love playing around after i finished work (really handy knowing the exact pin postions on the green...as i was the one who made the holes each time:D ).

Winter was miserable....cold and less time to play

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭okden

to all the dubs who voted the fact that its dark at 4.30 heres a little link that might cheer you up........not long now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah ruggie i worked as grenekeeper and inatanance for while in my club too, during winter there was a fight over who sat o nthe engine bonnet of our tractor that radiated so much heat it could melt steel =D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Definitely the short days. Unless the course is waterlogged there's plenty of clothing options to fend off the winter weather. Working shifts allows me to get out on weekdays but in deepest winter the daylight hours are so few that a couple of members and the local taxi drivers fourball is enough to make the popular courses as busy as a summer friday afternoon.

Took two of us over four hours to get around elm green last week!

Advertisement