Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car on false plate, should I report.

Options
  • 16-01-2006 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Here's the deal:

I reckon there is a car in my estate that is on false number plates. Last week it had a nordie reg, this week it has a southern reg.

The car is a 95 and I reckon should it have a new reg it should have a high number, ie, 95 D 50000, not 95 D 7777.

Thus I think the car has a a false reg or a cloned reg. The car is just new on the estate also, either new residents or bought from the north or gotten from the north.

Should I give the fuzz a buzz ? It's far from a high powered vehicle, it just came to my attention as a blatent false plates !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Yes, you should. I don't think that the reuse numbers.

If you report it all the cop will do is radio/phone it in and get the details. If they don't match then they might even come out and investigate.

Is there a tax disc or insurance disc on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Report it. If it has false plates then damn sure it won't be insured either.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

No need to be asking us!

Just ring the cops if you're suspicious of anything going on in your estate. Much quicker than waiting for replys on a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

rth0005l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Yep, ring the Gardaí.
    You are entitled to report anything you feel is suspicious. The Guards will not tell the owner who reported them.

Assume he/she has no liciense and/or insurance, and they cause a bad accident, then you'll feel guilty. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

egan007 wrote:
    rth0005l.jpg

classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

How quintessentially Irish... :rolleyes:

@ egan007 - ROFL!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I would also report it, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

I would too. Definitely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Are you sure he hasnt just cleared it.. VRT or whatever its called..

• Advertisement

Erm.. If a car is newly registered in the country having been imported it should have a 95 -XX-xxxxx reg if it was built in 95.

Newly registered old cars don't get a current year plate.

I could be very wrong but this is my understanding of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You're missing the point ... yes, of course it should have a 95-D-xxxx plate, but the point is that the number (the xxxx) should be a very high number, i.e. in the order of magnitude of the number of cars that were previously registered for that county in 1995. The OP stated that the number was suspiciously low.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

no your not wrong. When I registered my car from the USA it was given an 01 REG (the year of the car) and that was in 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Are you a bit of a busybody

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

sorry see your point it should be in 10's of thousands rather than 7 thousand ish range....

Woops I really should read the first post fully.

That does sound a bit iffey if it is that low.

Then again was, it previously registered with that plate or by some chance that number was reserved and never used..

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

Its a cherished number.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't see any reason why not. If the plate is valid, the Gardai will check it, and all is fine. If the plate is false, the guy will be busted.

Nobody loses. I don't see why anyone thinks it's a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

AFAIK they keep numbers like '7777' reserved. I know my dad once got '222' on his reg and it cost extra. It was a Nordie import, year 2000. He bought it last year, and he still got '222'.

So therefore it may be legit. Up to you whether you check it out.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you a bit of a busybody
    Why? Because he is concerned about the legality of something?
    Would you complain if an uninsured driver smacked into you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

I wonder is it possible that the car is registered in both states and the plate switch when in either state ?

I'll check the insurance/tax for reg details later tonight.

(Original reg was not 95-D-7777, just an example of a low number reg).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

mrbungle wrote:

I'll check the insurance/tax for reg details later tonight.

be aware that what you are doing might be frowned upon by the owner of the car who may or may not be totally innocent..

Advertisement