Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS on a memory stick.help?

Options
  • 16-01-2006 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

A mate of mine recently told me that it was possible to set up say an installation of windows 98 on my memory stick and run it on our college campus thus giving unlimited access to the college internet connection.
    Im sure its probably not possible myself but if anyone has any advice on the subject it would be very helpful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Your mate is talking out his ass - unless the college has no firewall/access control, which it should have.

The OS running on a node does not affect the access it is allowed by the network.

As for running OSs from flash cards/usb sticks - it's very common among Linux, BSD etc. and there is a cut-down Win98SE version available, but you'd have major problems with driver support and USB support.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Everything SyxPak said plus: the college would be nuts to allow booting from USB drives/CD-ROM anyway! Usually it's disabled - and should be at any rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭bammccabe

cheers guys, because i was allmost going to get a new 1 gig stick to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Most OEM machines have F12 on boot to bring up the boot menu, this would be tedious to disable in-BIOS on every machine, especially since CD-booting is a handy enough feature for the people on the ground who maintain the machines (assuming absence of BOOTP/PXEBoot imaging etc.).
    What boots the machine shouldn't have an impact on the machine's access priviliges if things are configured correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Speaking from experience in college, you can boot from CD or anything ya like :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

you can put xp on a pendrive.

Tomshardware did a guide on it a while back with a 256 stick i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

has security improved much in the last few years since I was there?

we used to be able to get laptop access in the IT labs by disconnecting a Pc and using its ip addrress.

they didn't even have the network restricted by mac address.

but that was prob all beafed up since the network was shut down by MS blaster a good while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭bammccabe

themole wrote:
    has security improved much in the last few years since I was there?

we used to be able to get laptop access in the IT labs by disconnecting a Pc and using its ip addrress.

they didn't even have the network restricted by mac address.

but that was prob all beafed up since the network was shut down by MS blaster a good while ago.

must give that a try just for the fun of it.security is pretty tight now though although you can still download all file types on a laptop using the college wireless connection, the only thing you cant really do is connect to a fileshare network

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

DSL (Damn small linux) fits on a 64mb usb stick:eek: , the whole OS is only 50mb and it has firefox, office suite, email client.....................

heres a link

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Advertisement