Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test

Options
  • 16-01-2006 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

My parents told me that they would buy me a brand new car if I passed my driving test (which I have failed once already) and i was wondering does anyone have any advice on how to pass?

The real question is how to be calm during the test because I can (literally) do most of the maneuvers with my eyes closed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

yeah , act confident and try to drive as perfectly as you can.

and remeber always swing your head from left to right to show him u are aware of your suroundings and using mirrors - moving just ur eyes wont do.

just be confident and drive as u normally would but exagerate all the important aspects of looking around you at all times etc.

and keep thinking of that new car! ...(what car is it btw?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Make your driving habits:

Hands in the proper position,
    Signal properly
    Constant observation, esp mirrors

etc....

Practise, practise, practise

Then on the day of the test, it's just like bringing a friend for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Go in with the attitude that you can always re-sit the test again.
    The main thing people fail on is observation.
    Use your mirrors and use your mirrors and use your mirrors!
    Give the tester the impression that you are a competant driver by bringing him/her on a nice comfortable/smooth and safe spin.
    Another tip, have the car nice and clean inside and out and
    smelling nice (but not overscented like a new magic tree with all plastic wrapper removed)

GOOD LUCK!

Ps. If your parents are feeling generous I would like a new car too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mist

Yeah the swing the head about seems like a good idea.

The advice is much appreciated.

I don't know why they are being so generous, suppose there are 7 children in my family and having another person to drive the kids about isnt a bad idea.

The car is one of those new 206's the sport model i think. Here is a pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya theyre nice cars, nearly bought one last week, the price was just too high. Good, reliable car tho, good luck with the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mist wrote:
    My parents told me that they would buy me a brand new car if I passed my driving test

Could they put you under more pressure?

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I passed my test first time but got a few faults for observation as mentioned already. Twist your neck around like an eejit to counteract this ;)
    Definately take a couple of pre-test lessons, preferable with one on the same day as the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Mist wrote:
    The real question is how to be calm during the test because I can (literally) do most of the maneuvers with my eyes closed.
    It's natural to be nervous/tense sitting a driving test. When I sat mine the only mistake I made was to drive a bit too fast (about 37 in a 30 at the time) just after pulling out of the test centre. I backed off gently and it wasn't even noticed and I passed without any faults. I actually found that the nerves on the test day helped my driving slightly as it kept me very focused on doing the few little things I occasionally messed up properly.

The nerves are definitely an asset when it comes to making sure that your mirror usage is frequent enough. it was one of the things I was worried might catch me out and I always consciously went back to a mirroring routing after a manouvre.

Advertisement