Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Living abroad, bringing car back.

Options
  • 16-01-2006 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭

Do you have to be working in a foreign country in order to waive vrt on a car purchased there?
    I know a person has to own the car for 6 months plus in that country, and when the car is brought here cannot be sold on fpor 12 months... but do they have to work there, or just live there?
    How do you prove to vrt office that you were in fact living there??
    I cant find any specific info online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

afaik you just have to be a resident abroad.

Bills, bank account statements, credit card transactions would be proof, i suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Kersh, a friend of mine brought his Porsche Boxter back to Ireland last may. He had been in the uk for a little over a year.

When it came to VRT'ing it, they said he had to own the car and provide some proof that he had been working and/or living in the uk. He produced payslips/tax bills/insurance certs. etc

When revenue were happy, he was issued with his documents without having to pay the VRT fee. However, if he was to sell the car on or before 12 months had passed he would be liable to the VRT fee.

I don't think you have to work there as a pre-requisite, but proof of residence is an absolute necessity. He used utility bills etc to prove this fact (but because he was also working, he had payslips/bank statements to back his application up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

You just need that car insured in that coutry for travelling abroad.....how many polish registered cars do you see on the road? guy i work with from chez republic insured his car for 100euro for any where in the EU!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Cool, but if Im renting (which is the plan), the utility bills wont be in my name. Hmmm, but i suppose i would have bank account/withdrawals/credit card bills etc.
    Would this suffice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

@ toffeeapple - afaik an irish person cannot be insured in a foreign registered car, unless thay have a permanent foreign address, though i assume thats what the poles are doing??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

toffeapple wrote:
    You just need that car insured in that coutry for travelling abroad.....how many polish registered cars do you see on the road? guy i work with from chez republic insured his car for 100euro for any where in the EU!!

What they are doing is illegal, once they are resident here they have to re-register the car. Many don't and get away with it but that's a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Ah FFS! not that auld 'illegal drivers-blah-blah' story again - stow it already :mad:
    Kersh wrote:
    Cool, but if Im renting (which is the plan), the utility bills wont be in my name. Hmmm, but i suppose i would have bank account/withdrawals/credit card bills etc.
    Would this suffice?

You'll still have 'some' bills in your name, surely? Maybe not utility, but phone? NTL/Sky? Bear in mind that VRT Office will look at everything, and don't have a pre-set 'list of approved proof material'. It's more a question of the more you have the better, rather than little evidence (e.g. 3 or 4 bills) of an 'admittedly' better standard of proof (e.g gas bill) - that's from experience, having been through the process myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

John R wrote:
    What they are doing is illegal, once they are resident here they have to re-register the car. Many don't and get away with it but that's a different matter.

I think if they have proof they are only here on short time contracts, then they cannot say they are going to be fully resident here. I wonder though if one of them ran into you, how long it would take for their easten european insurance to pay up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

once you have an address in a country(england is in EU) where you can insure your car, and its registered in that country you can take out a policy to insure it abroad. Who said he was becoming a resident?
    If he has a foreign reg and he is pulled over and the car is insured in his name in the country of registration whats the problem?? he may be strecthing the boundries of his policy depending on what his cover is..as in how long he can be in a foreign country....but its not illegal.
    what about people who live between ireland and england...do you think they register a car here and insure it here? no is the simple answer

• Advertisement
Advertisement