Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what to do when someone hits ur door

Options
  • 16-01-2006 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Every morning i park in the same car park in same spot. Lately i noticed there was a small mark on the side of my door. This morning i was a bit delayed and just after i parked my car another pulled up along side me (same car is parked beside me almost every day). He got out of his car. Wacked his door against mine. I opened mine and said do you mind not hiting my door. He told me to calm down muttered somthing and walked off. Im left sitting there amazed. I would 99.9% always try to make sure i leave enough room for my door to open without hiting the car next to me as im paying enough for my car without have to get scratches or markes on it. I dont really want to move to another spot as where i park the car can is safe. If he does this again what would ye recommend i do???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

If he has actually damaged your car I would take his insurance details and file a claim against him.
    I hate people who have no respect for others property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Yep, take his details, reg and insurance (from disc in the window) and contact your insurance company. Then let them fight it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

That is one thing that really annoys me. Some people are so stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Im getting my new car '06 on wednesday (which will be my pride and joy) and am dreading parking it there. :( If he does the same tomorow with my present car i will get out of my car and get his details and car reg and a photo of the car with my camera phone. Thanks for your help! Just thinking he will probably give the door a good wack this evening when he gets in to his as his car is usually gone before i get to mine.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

What sort of car are you getting ? :cool:

Just park it as far away from everyone else as you can, although knowing work car-parks, it probably gets full. Still, there ought to be some spaces that have a wall on one side, or a kerb, or whatnot.

I do the same in work - we have an underground carpark, and there's a little "garage" in there - a bix bog enough for 2 spaces. I park in there about an inch from the wall on the left side - leaves tons of room for whoever parks on the right. The panels on my car are very thin, so they're taken their (un)fair share of dings from d!ckheads over the years.
    sandyg wrote:
    Im getting my new car '06 on wednesday (which will be my pride and joy) and am dreading parking it there. :( If he does the same tomorow with my present car i will get out of my car and get his details and car reg and a photo of the car with my camera phone. Thanks for your help! Just thinking he will probably give the door a good wack this evening when he gets in to his as his car is usually gone before i get to mine.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

sandyg wrote:
    Every morning i park in the same car park in same spot. Lately i noticed there was a small mark on the side of my door. This morning i was a bit delayed and just after i parked my car another pulled up along side me (same car is parked beside me almost every day). He got out of his car. Wacked his door against mine. I opened mine and said do you mind not hiting my door. He told me to calm down muttered somthing and walked off. Im left sitting there amazed. I would 99.9% always try to make sure i leave enough room for my door to open without hiting the car next to me as im paying enough for my car without have to get scratches or markes on it. I dont really want to move to another spot as where i park the car can is safe. If he does this again what would ye recommend i do???

Pure rudeness IMO, tell him to F**k off and say "if i notice 1 more scratch on my, door - even if if its not from you , ill have somebody wait for you here and put your head through your f'n door , maybe thatll teach you a lesson you inconsidearte Mother F***r"

I guarantee itll never happen again.

Geting the new punto grande 1.2 dymanic:D Have a 04 panda at mo (my first car). Im driving hubbs car this week - audit a4 (his pride and joy). I will see if i can get the space near a wall. Knowing that f***er he would park up against me there just for spite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Ohhh... Audi... nice heavy doors with sharp edges.
    I'd go hunting for yer man's car and see how hard you can swing that door :D
    sandyg wrote:
    Geting the new punto grande 1.2 dymanic:D Have a 04 panda at mo (my first car). Im driving hubbs car this week - audit a4 (his pride and joy). I will see if i can get the space near a wall. Knowing that f***er he would park up against me there just for spite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Listen to this, was in girlfriends car and she parked in a spot. She didnt park the best so had to squeeze out the door but made sure not to hit car beside it. Held door the whole time to make sure it didnt hit the other car. Someone was sitting in car. So got out and walked down the road. Was about 300m away walking towards shops and heard a shout but walked on.

Came back to car about an hour later and this fellow came running towards me on the phone. He was roaring and shouting. So he came over to me and start roaring at me telling me that I had wacked his car and there was loads of damage. I told him where to go more or less and walked on towards the car. Anyway next thing he made out he was on the phone to the Garda and was going on he was asking for the Detective. I was laughing at this stage but he kept shouting. A bit of a crowd was starting to build and he was roaring on the "phone" to the Garda that I was causing trouble. Crowd was laughing at him

So calmly I asked him to show me the damage. He wouldn't so I walked towards the car to see where I had done the damage and he jumped in front of me and wouldnt let me pass. So I told GF to get in car and reverse out. He kept roaring and someone in crowd came over and told him to cop on. He told him to f off. So GF jumped in car and reversed out. he kept up wit the Garda thing so I asked him could I talk to the Garda on the phone. He wouldn't let me so I told him where to go and I had his reg and was heading to Garda office myself now.

So he hoped into car then and crowd started to clap so I hoped into GF car and she started to drive out. Next thing he came running out in front of car and start to tap on GF side window. I jumped out and asked him what he was at. Asked if I had insurance. I said nothing and walked to his car and checked insurance and tax. Went back to my car and just shouted at him "going to see Garda now, if I was you I would get out of here"

He ran back to car and drove away

Spanner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

I agree with C breeze..A good tirade of abuse will sort him out and make you feel better...why are there so many disrespectful people out there...there is loads of evil revenge things i could tell you to do ..but we wont go into that

• Advertisement

Well if i did call him names i would probably be called a racist!!! Id say hed use that excuse with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

sandyg wrote:
    Well if i did call him names i would probably be called a racist!!! Id say hed use that excuse with me!

Just go down the insurance route, do it now not after he damages your new car. Take pics, bring the car to a bodyshop and get a quote and contact the insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Park horizontally, across his space and yours :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

sandyg wrote:

if you tell him wat i told you , let him call u a racist.
    I u dont dicriminate against his "race" then let him call u wat he wants

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

Go get a quote to get the paintwork professionally touched up....you probably wouldn't mind if he was apologetic but the fact he was so braizen about it.....personally if I'm parked very close to another car, I always put my hand in between my door and theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

RotalicaV wrote:

Take up both spaces (straddle the dividing line). Always worked wonders for me ;)

(I really don't mind any insults resulting from that at all, they're so much cheaper than bodywork :D )

Alternatively, (i) if you can park well away on a more-or-less regular basis and (ii) there's no CCTV, do his doors, bonnet and roof. You car key will suffice, and no need to press too hard That worked well for me once as well. Never a pang of guilt either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Just dont retaliate and damage anyones door !

Take the details as mentioned and file the claim. You may not get anywhere but he'll know now that you are serious and that he may not get away with it again !

Either way I would park elsewhere from now on !

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sandyg wrote:
    If he does the same tomorow with my present car i will get out of my car and get his details and car reg and a photo of the car with my camera phone.
    The quality on most camera phones isn't great (esp. at night) so maybe get a disposable one and keep it in your glove box!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Two Words.
    Paint stripper

legal responses.

a) you could use a camcorder to record it, and give that to the insurance company/cops. If it's a work car park, contact the management. Get your mans reg details, and the above video. Demand action.

B) send email around your company, asking owner of car reg xx ZZ XXXX to refrain from damaging your car. Should work, perhaps a pic of the damage to your car, or even a link to a clip of d*khead slapping his door of your car.

C) go to nearest garda station, tell them that your car is been vandalised by this guy. Ask them to pop round and view the car at time he usually arrives in work

D) Arrange for one of your mates, to dress up in a suit/tie, clipboard, measuring tape, camera. And perform a insurance assesor (sp?) type examination of the car. Make sure he's seen by loads of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

kbannon wrote:
    The quality on most camera phones isn't great (esp. at night) so maybe get a disposable one and keep it in your glove box!
    and a Decent lamp with built in stand to illuminate the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

RotalicaV wrote:

LOL exactly.

Guy in work had a brand new Bravo and some one put a dent in it that cost a few hundred to put right. I normally would park across two spaces and as far away from everyone else as I can. I had one girl who kept parking really close to me. As mine was a two door coupe it made it nigh impossible to get in. After asking her to stop, and she didn't I eventually found a solution that kept her away.

Pppppppsssssssssssssssssssssssstttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

What another flat...how unlucky can you be....;)

Advertisement